Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you get to Kona to catch a flight???
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Epperson

We recently got round trip tickets to Portland from Kona for $318. It was so cheap that we rented a car each way for a one way drive. I didn't want to leave my car at the Kona airport because of all the stories of little ants moving into parked vehicles and eating the wiring.

No, seriously? [:0] Never heard that one before. Ants, that is.

In the past, I drove to Kona airport and parked in the commuter lot for a few days. But lately, there seem to be more flights out of Hilo to the other islands and to the mainland (the two directions I would travel). The prices are good enough that I accept the fact it might cost a little more to fly out of Hilo but the convenience outweighs the cost!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

I got a ride to Hilo terminal & took the bus to the Matsuyama store. Then used the Taxi coupons to get to the airport. Shared Ride Taxi coupons are 5 for $15 & each coupon is good for 4 miles of transport, so 2 coupons = $6 down the hill to the airport. Buy the coupons at the terminal. Kona taxi 960-6682. I've done this several times & is much cheaper than paying someone's gas.

I found a link for an application for coupons:
http://hilo.hawaii.edu/campuscenter/docu...rators.pdf
Here is the HeleOn general shared ride taxi coupon link, which may be updated more often than the UHH link ...or not...:
http://www.heleonbus.org/shared-ride-taxi-program

and the most recent (same as the UHH) pdf of the shared ride operator list:
http://www.heleonbus.org/shared-ride-tax...s.pdf/view
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

If there was a 10 person shuttle van that left from Keaau and stopped in Hilo and then went over Saddle Rd directly to the Kona Airport. $50 per person.... would you consider that? what about the price?

My son lives in Steamboat Springs, CO and whenever he needs to fly out of Denver, he takes a taxi shuttle for $85 one way to the airport. The route is 155 miles over the massive Rockies. Because Steamboat is isolated, the government may subsidize some of that cost.

Your question is, would any one be interested in the concept? I, for one, wouldn't because of my budget. Still, it is a good idea and the price seems fair.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Epperson

We recently got round trip tickets to Portland from Kona for $318. It was so cheap that we rented a car each way for a one way drive. I didn't want to leave my car at the Kona airport because of all the stories of little ants moving into parked vehicles and eating the wiring.

We did that too once on the return to Hilo side. Price wasnt bad and we got a deal on our rental car from Kona to Hilo - usually if you do this you may incur a drop off fee so just beware. They needed cars in Hilo so they told us we could only have car one day and it had to be in Hilo next morning by 11 Am (we picked it up at 3 PM in Kona). Was $19.95 + gas + tax, etc.

That is a fantastic price for a rental. What company was that? Did you phone ahead and arrange to do the one way? Details please[Smile]
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiideborah...
That is a fantastic price for a rental. What company was that? Did you phone ahead and arrange to do the one way? Details please[Smile]

Last minute rental at Budget. We just walked in. We flew Space available and did not know what date we would get back. It was Christmas day so maybe not much business, and they needed the car in Hilo the next day. Cheaper to give us a discount than have an employee drive it over I guess.
Have had luck with National as well (one ways) - need to hide the dog while checking in though..... my last one really furry and white on a brandy new black interior, they are on to us - grin
Ask an acquaintence for a ride to the airport. When it becomes clear they are about to take the turn into Hilo airport just exclaim that no, you meant Kona. Apologize for the confusion and make sure you get them a t-shirt in your size. So if it doesn't fit them, maybe they will let you have it.
I just catch the bus to Matsuyama and hoof it from there (and do the reverse when coming back to Puna). However, I'm in very good physical condition so it's just a nice workout. The only challenge is coming in on the red eye, arriving at 2am or so and waiting for the bus to show up at Matsuyama in the early morning. Nobody picks up hitch hikers that early either.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike