Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequent copter flights over Leilani Estates
We live in the lower half of Leilani Estates and several times a week there is a helicopter circling around our area. It's high enough that I can't see any markings, but it's low enough to make a racket. I'd like to know who I can call to find out what's going on - and how I might be able to stop it! Today I'm sick in bed and the noise has kept me from resting (around 1:30 - 2:30 in the afternoon).
Tail numbers aren't (usually) visible from the ground, and color only tells you who owns them (not who chartered the flight or why), so you have to guess by "posture".

Flying in a straight line to/from the lava: tourists.

Low flight, straight line, along road: possible HELCO line survey.

Circling, hovering, etc: could be a realtor, could be green harvest.

Low enough you can see the people: almost always green harvest.

There's not much good in complaining, either, because tourists bring money, and green harvest has Magic Federal Powers that allow it to Fly However It Wants.

Welcome to Puna!
The way to stop it would be identifying the individuals who pilot and commission these flights. Alienating these individuals until they leave or change professions seems to be the only route left to 'we the people'

Cheers

rainyjim
I doubt it's greenharvest. The DEA, NED, county police got no funding for it now with the fiscal cliff and all.
This page has info on identifying and reporting helicopters to the FAA. They've been out to the island from Honolulu regularly, monitoring complaints and logging flights. Despite what most punatics believe, yes, it is actually worth your time and it does make a difference. The FAA guys call the pilots and often show up at the airfields to speak to them. They rarely issue citations, but the pilots know they're being watched. If it's a .GOV situation, they'll tell you they can't do anything (like with GH).

You could also check out the Air standards document; you'll find it through the below pages.

Good luck, cuz they surely do suck. Smile

http://airtourshawaii.blogspot.com/

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
So we have existing Federal regulations which clearly stipulate minimum altitude, and we have FAA investigators "talking to" the pilots, and yet, somehow, the helicopters keep flying below the ceiling.

Lately I've seen the "dark gray" helicopters -- pretty sure they're not tourists, either.

Funny thought: State is collecting an easy $20-30 GET on the fare for each tourist flight, I wonder where that money goes, because they don't seem to be spending it on anything in the flight path... especially the roads...

These definitely look like dark gray helicopters, and they're not flying low enough to see people in them. They are circling around, not just flying across. I'll try the link from rainshadow. They're out here again late on a Sunday afternoon. I had no idea that realtors did stuff like that!
Dark gray: Civil Defense, probably flying under color of law, good luck with complaints.

Same goes for: Orange, Yellow, and the White With Orange Stripe, these are coast guard/fire/rescue choppers.

There's also a Small White one that belongs to County.
someone told me that copters here have a weather exemption that allows them to fly lower to be out of the clouds.
I called the FAA a few years ago, and they told me there ARE no rules that the copters have to follow. Later found out that wasn't true, so you can't even trust the gubbermint.
The Marines were exercising at Pohakuloa the past couple weeks. I saw one of the gray helicopters and it looked like a Marine scout chopper. Why they fly over the Puna developments is a mystery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Drdgp-uEARc
Mortar Marines make it rain at Hawaii Training Area

Also, lava is flowing into the ocean again, so when that happens, there are a lot more tourist flights.

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*