Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Land for sale in HPP
For a less subjective "valuation", look no further than the State inventory of "Important Agricultural Lands", and note that the various "ag subdivisions" contain little (or no) IAL.

Mandatory road fees (which only benefit "some people") is a good example of a "bad value proposition", and some people would rightly consider that "worthless".
Unless all the roads are paved and maintained..... then reasonable road fees are good value imho
"Reasonable road fees" are in the eye of the beholder. In HPP's case, there has been over a decade of poor leadership and poor management that have cause the fees to be dramatically more than they should be. It never seems to get better.
Ah, "road fees". Everyone pays these at the gas pump; some residents of "private" subdivisions also pay them again, and yes, the subdivisions vary in their "fiduciary effectiveness".
They have been trying the pave the roads in HPP for over 30 years. At least this management finally got part of the job done. And I for one would like to see it continue even if it cost "more" in yearly road fees .......until the whole subdivision is done.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

If I had it to do over again, I would strongly consider someplace other than HPP. IMO, it is worth paying more up front for a property with county amenities than buying into a disfunctional HOA.

But where else can you get an ACRE + in a subdivision that has county amenities and is as close to Hilo as HPP is?

I agree with you tho, on finding someplace else rather other than HPP. I bought a lot for 8K in Ocean Shores Washington. They had the same thing going on. Except they made it so you could pay the road taxes in 5 years. So naturally most people waited to pay the road fee's for 5 years and when it come time to pay the 2-3K bucks, people couldn't afford to pay it all at once and ended up selling.

I thought it was a pretty good at the time because the roads were all paved but they found a way to get another tax going as they had to dig up the road to maintain water lines or do this or that. It was always something. So they hit everyone again with fee's ... Never mind paying the mandatory fee's like for the swimming pool and park ... It was just a never ending tax on top of taxes.

If you think "When they get done paving my road fees will go back to normal fees" THINK again. I'm sure they will come up with something to collect that $$$ so it's just an ongoing fee that never ends and of course every year those fee's just keep going up and up.

Anyway, I ended up selling in Ocean Shores after paying thousands for taxes and fee's ... I didn't see the value of owning a vacant lot. It would have been a different story if I had lived there. I can only imagine what all the people that don't live in HPP are thinking when they have to pay those fee's and don't even drive down the roads!