Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcomming trip
HI,

We are staying at Sea Mountain resort in early August 2013. We are spending a couple of nights at the Kona area before driving down. I am a big fan of snorkeling and have been told that there are limited spots at the south end. We are staying 2 nights in Kona and 7 at Sea mountain. I might change that to include more nights in Kona and less at Sea mountain, if nessessary.

Is there any great snorkeling spots at the south end? Can I fish in that area? I would love to catch and release some unusual fish, and maybe even grill up a fish or 2 if they are a plentiful species. I was told that the fishponds near the resort is good for both fishing and snorkeling. Is that true. Any advice on snorkeling, fishing gear and bait/lures would be awesome.

Thanks,

Rich
By my experience the South Point is not good snorkeling. There are fifty foot cliffs to deal with. People fish there and some brave souls jump off the cliffs into the deep water. A really, really nice spot, not to be missed, is Hounaunau, south of Kona, south of Captain Cook. Nice access, nice snorkeling and the City of Refuge is a beautiful place to visit and experience a healthy dose of old Hawaii.

http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

There is also a nice area in Kona on the shore along the old Kona Airport. Good access. Others may have other suggestions.

Best wishes.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Best snorkeling is around Kona; Kahaluu Beach Park and a few spots North. On your way South, try Honaunau, Ho'okena and Milolii. Road to the sea has a couple of small beaches, but the road sucks. You can try Snorkeling Punalu'u, but the ocean can be deadly with strong outside (the bay) currents. As for fishing, South Point is popular amongst locals with special rigging. Maybe ask at Na'alehu mini-mart for details.
Sea Mountain is adjacent to Punalu'u, a black sand beach that is known for sea turtles & wicked currents.... and a slew of hobbling rocks in the surf line... It is a gorgeous area, with a little snorkel entry at Ninole Cove, but the nearest coral action snorkeling is at least a half hour away... not a bad drive, and the resort area is a lovely area totally away from just about everything... the resort full development never happened, so it is much more of an isolated area than many tropical resorts - definitely far removed from the touristy-action of KailuaKona town itself... & shops, & ...
The last time we snorkeled at Kahalu'u I was shocked by how damaged the corals were and how clueless about not touching or walking on the corals most of the visitors were. It needs a rest from use to recover.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb