Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hwy 130 speed limit to be lowered through HPP
State Senator Russell Ruderman has recommended that the speed limit on Hwy 130 at HPP be lowered from 55 mph to 45 mph. He stated this is being done because of the accident rate and local requests. It appears that this change is being done for arbitrary reasons in that any speed limit change must fallow Federal guidelines. These guidelines include much more that accident rates. One of the primary criteria is that the speed limit should be set at a speed that is traveled by 85% of the cars (ie 85 percentile). It does not appear that this was considered.

Drivers will travel at a speed that they feel is reasonable and safe, reqardless of the limit set. Accident rates are not related to the speed "limit", but are related to the speed itself. A lower limit will not cause slower speeds for many and during light traffic times. In fact during light trafic you will be seeing traffic traveling at a reasonable speed of 55+ mph. Think of the speed trap potential and the increased revenues for the court system. Not to mention the thousands of dollars leaving the hands of the lower Puna residents

I have requested a copy of the engeneering evaluation they claim was made. If the study proves that 45 mph is justified , then so be it. But in the meantime I have to question the ligality of the speed limit change.

Comments appreciated and your personal feelings about the safe driving speed through HPP.
Quote:
"Drivers will travel at a speed that they feel is reasonable and safe"

Let's also let the drivers determine their "reasonable and safe" level of alcohol consumption. I mean who understands their drinking ability better than the drinker?

A "reasonable and safe" amount of texting sould also be decided by commuters. This would allow people to leave for their destination later, and save time by communicating on the fly. It's perfectly reasonable to text that you're going to be late, but will try and make up time by speeding.

Let the people decide!

[Big Grin]

This topic was pretty thoroughly hashed over here already on this thread:

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16161&SearchTerms=speed,limit,130

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Quote:
"Drivers will travel at a speed that they feel is reasonable and safe"

Please see the below section of the State Vehicle code. This basic rule is what most people follow.
§291C-101 Basic rule. No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent and having regard to the actual and potential hazards and conditions then existing. Consistent with the foregoing, every person shall drive at a safe and appropriate speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railroad grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazards exist with respect to pedestrians or other traffic, or by reason of weather or highway conditions. [L 1971, c 150, pt of §1; am L 1977, c 8, §1]
Let's also let the drivers determine their "reasonable and safe" level of alcohol consumption. I mean who understands their drinking ability better than the drinker?

A "reasonable and safe" amount of texting sould also be decided by commuters. This would allow people to leave for their destination later, and save time by communicating on the fly. It's perfectly reasonable to text that you're going to be late, but will try and make up time by speeding.

Are you trying to be funny or sarcastic?

Let the people decide!

[Big Grin]

The irony being: most times/days, you can't really exceed 50mph on that highway.

Either the roads are inadequate, or "everyone" has decided that ~50mph is "reasonable and prudent".
would love to see a light at paradise an 130 AND a light at shower an 130 -- synchronised such that if one makes the green in either direction he/she will make the next lite if driving at 45 mph...no need to rush...no worries