Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirty Power
To me, HELCO is not that bad but they do have their sudden dropouts. It isn't the power loss that damages equipment, most surge protectors protect against spikes. It's the brown power pull-down that reverses current. Anyway, finally went down to Officemax to get a couple 550VA 330W UPS (APC is a good brand) on sale, regularly $79.99 but on sale for $59.99. Now, it looks like the sale is having a sale, they are $49.99. This is a really good deal.

http://www.officemax.com/technology/cables-surge-battery-backup/ups-surge-protection/ups-battery-backup-devices/product-prod1510062?R=21627955&ssp=true

(This provides backup power long enough to gracefully shut down.)

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day! Onward to Elysium."
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
APC units 600VA and smaller are typically 12VDC internally; an AGM battery (electric wheelchair, Optima yellowtop, etc) will have the same charge/discharge characteristics and so makes an ideal upgrade.

you should know "Hawaii" officemax doesn't always have the same prices. I went in one time to get a 50 dollar printer only to find out it was 20 bucks more per the mainland online prices.

Speaking of printers -- I found an all in one scanner/copy/laser jet samsung for 100 bucks. So sometimes you can get a better deal at walmart as they don't jack up the prices because we live on an island like officemax seems to do for heavy or bulky items.