Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Know a Korean Translator?
In fairness Eric, google translate isn't bad at translating within the Western language families, for example German to English, etc. But I've been monitoring translation programs since the late 1980s, specifically Japanese to English and vice versa. It sucked then and isn't much better now. What is wonderful about google translate is the ability to instantly look up unfamiliar words, phrases (or Kanji characters), a big time-saver. I've been out of the translation business for a long time, but google certainly has developed a great tool that makes it easier/quicker to look up words. Just making the point that it's not a good idea to rely on it to do anything but the most basic phrases and words. Also wanted Pilgrim to be aware that it can backfire without knowledge of the culture you're dealing with, especially hierarchical Confucian cultures with languages that require proper protocol and/or honorifics, like China, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. Linguistic knowledge without knowledge of culture makes you just enough to be dangerous. How do I know? Because I once knew just enough Japanese to be dangerous. Eventually I saw the light. Smile

http://japaninsight.wordpress.com/2012/0...-language/
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
If you want to see how accurate an online translator is, translate a paragraph from one language to another, then back to the original language. Even better, put it through three or four languages.

Bite the Wax Tadpole! (supposedly the Chinese translation of "Coca Cola" though google translate doesn't play it that way.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
How machine translations can get you in trouble. Funny stuff.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagel...05195.html
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius