Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bringing a truck to the island
FIRST what condition is your nissan in? (when we moved from N midwest - road salt had eaten away sooo much much of the frame, bed & door panels of our Toy 4X4 w/125Kmi, that the thing was probably hundreds of pounds lighter...and though only a decade old, with engine & trans in excellent shape... she was not gonna make the moving cut....)

Second what can you buy a comp for? looking at craiglist today.... there are a few 95 Nissans close to your sell price range .... again, I have nothing to compare YOUR truck with those for sale...but you can....

Third do you have an attachment to the truck? some people really like THEIR truck...& a replacement just isn't the same...

Also, before thinking you must go out and replace tires that may have thousands - tens of thousand of miles of wear left...look at the prices of a few of the tire stores here...with sale prices, we have found that they can run fairly close to what we were used to in the upper midwest...

Here, you have to look more at sale price & schedule a little more, as without sales price, SOME store sell things that seem to run closer to or above the mfg. rec. price...

ADDED : second the clean & wax THOROUGHLY any vehicle coming here...even if you pack it in your own container.... & Pasha does not use containers, but has a fully enclosed ship...even so, loading & unloading is at the port (unless you put it in your container & moved the container to/from the port but then things in the container might move & rub up against the vehicle...) & just the salt air at the port, stuck on your vehicle during a move is not great...
I bought a 1995 Dodge Dakota with 85,000 miles here on the island for $1700 about 10 months ago. Unless my math is different than everybody else's it makes more sense to sell your vehicle for 2k where you are and buy something when you get here.

Also, don't expect any Honolulu prices to mean anything on the Big Island.

Correction: I paid $1620, not $1700.