Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth not an option while driving if under 18
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...ernor.html

Meanwhile, distractions such as talking to other passengers, changing the radio station, getting out a new CD, shaving, applying makeup, looking at a map, eating, drinking, smoking (and thousands more) are all just fine, because there's no law specifically prohibiting these activities.

I wonder which Big Island district will yield the most citations under the new law?

Somehow I doubt it will be Hilo and/or Kona...
Newer cars have often have built-in hands-free systems (bluetooth/speakerphone).

Look for expensive lawsuit from the automobile manufacturers...
It's only a ban on hand-held devices.
How helpful: S-A has already updated the story, apparently the rule only applies to drivers under 18.

Otherwise: a smokeless "e-cig" is technically a "handheld electronic device", right?

Wink
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

It's only a ban on hand-held devices.

Yes, but your cell phone is a hand-held device. So even if your car has a build it Bluetooth the call connects via your cell phone...a hand-held device.

Even though a Bluetooth device is not considered hand-held device it specifically states "hands-free devices such as Bluetooth cell phone earpieces"
The ban on hands free is only for drivers UNDER 18 as it should be.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

apparently the rule only applies to drivers under 18.
Wink

I'm glad that's been updated. I spend a good portion of my day in the car and the Bluetooth is a must for my job!
quote:
Originally posted by ourdoc

The ban on hands free is only for drivers UNDER 18 as it should be.

Yes, they updated the story. That's not how it was originally posted. I just updated the title as well so that it's no longer confusing.