Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Buyers Pick Puna - Sales Surge
opihikao,

An example about per capita:
The late 1990's civil rights finding of systematic discrimination against Puna was based on the amount of infrastructure per capita.
Has anything changed?
Parks: total number of acres of public park space divided by the number of people in the district. It is a lot less in Puna than it is in Hilo.
Public expenditure on roads: dollars divided by the total number of people.
Police officers, ambulances, and on and on...
"1) They want a house designed the way they want it (couldn't fine with same features already made)
2) Purchased land cheaply (tax sale, market timing) so the savings make up for the cost of construction
3) Purchased years ago as retirement and only now ready to live here"

I agree with 1), but I'm not so sure about the rest. If land has gone up then surely they could just sell their lot and use the money to buy a house? I'm mystified why anyone would go through the interesting experience of building here when there are so many houses for sale.
@ PaulW

In the interest of this topic, would you mind describing and justifying your thought process in buying/building/fixing the property you own in Puna? I think a lot of us could use your experience as a compass to avoid mistakes.
I don't think my experience or opinion is of particular note. But anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather find a suitable already-built house than attempt to build one myself (or rather, have one built on my behalf). It's a stressful and time-consuming task at the best of times, but on an island in the middle of the Pacific it's even more so. But, each to his own, I guess it's much better for the economy if more people choose to build and I wish them the best of luck. There are some excellent builders on this side of the island.

So much depends on personal circumstances, e.g. whether you have more of an abundance of money or time.

What's your experience/thoughts, beejee?
I was just throwing out ideas of logical reasons I could see for someone doing this. The problem I have with 1 is that (at least in my walks in Orchidland) I'm seeing a lot of kit/standard houses being built.
Maybe some people want to be there when their house is built, to make sure no corners are cut?
I'd rather get a very thorough inspection.

The boom could be coming back. Hold on to your hats.
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

opihikao,

An example about per capita:
The late 1990's civil rights finding of systematic discrimination against Puna was based on the amount of infrastructure per capita.
Has anything changed?
Parks: total number of acres of public park space divided by the number of people in the district. It is a lot less in Puna than it is in Hilo.
Public expenditure on roads: dollars divided by the total number of people.
Police officers, ambulances, and on and on...

There it is, Sir, thank you. Puna will continue on this growth pattern, and although the market was soft for a bit, the cycle seems to be coming around again (as usual). We should capitalize on this kind of data through elected officials to get Puna at least some basic necessities. For example, a homeless shelter would be helpful for those who do not have the luxury of renting or owning a home. JMO.

(O/T: You have a lovely wife, Sir. My aloha to you both.[Smile])
Thanks for your insights Paul, much appreciated. I decided to buy property, and pay it off. Then planning to build a small house - shooting for next year. I agree with what you're saying about the stresses of managing and building a house. I'm actually not looking forward to that whole process. In the end it will all be worth It though I think.
Let us know how it goes BeeJee. From what I can gather, it's an expensive, complex process to get it done right.