Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know
I was going down old red road today and they painting stirpes today where they repaved it.There was only one guy witth a little paint machine doing center stripe but there was two police about two feet on either side of him flagging traffic. I wonder does anyone know what police make a hour when they flag traffic? This could have been done easily by one person.Do county employes make as much as police per hour.This were pretty costly stirpes if police are making overtime when they flag traffic.

jrw
jrw
I think it is abut $35 an hour.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
This subject came up recently, and a long time resident who has been on some type of County Roads/Transportation/Safety committee for many years (sorry, didn't pay that close attention to the exact one) said that the police flaggers do this on their days off, and are paid by the contractor. Taxpayer police budget $$ do not go to these guys for these flagging duties, according to this person. That news made me feel better. Hope it's true!
But it is taxpayer money paying them on the side jobs.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It all comes out of Tax dollars. But yes, there has to be 2, one for either direction according to Hawaii laws. The reason is easy to understand. Imagine how much it would cost the County in a law suit for a worker being run over because there was not sufficient protection from traffic? Instead of that money going out to protect them it would go out in huge settlements for wrongful death. The cost of off duty officers is figured into the bid for the job. When officers are not available they are allowed to use specifically trained security officers, which really saves them no money at all and is still paid for by the tax payers..
Sorry to say it was are tax payer money paying for this it was hawaii county doing the work.

jrw
jrw
I heard it was over time so it's actually 70 dollars an hour and if it's a holiday. Probably Triple dipping. If I were a cop I'd work the system too. So, can you blame them?
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

I heard it was over time so it's actually 70 dollars an hour and if it's a holiday. Probably Triple dipping. If I were a cop I'd work the system too. So, can you blame them?

...on top of which they're entitled to the "shift differential" for carrying a firearm while "off-duty".

So it's really no wonder the County "can't" afford to pave the "private" roads Smile
quote:
Originally posted by jrw

This could have been done easily by one person.Do county employes make as much as police per hour.This were pretty costly stirpes if police are making overtime when they flag traffic.

jrw

From the FHWA web site: workplace fatalities that occur at a road construction site typically account for 1.5% to 3% of all workplace fatalities annually;

Your suggestion that a single person could perform traffic control would mean that that single person would have their back to half of the traffic- neither effective, nor safe. Having 2 traffic control personnel helps ensure the safety not just of the roadway worker, but of the flagmen / police officers as well. And believe it or not, when a contractor pays for police, it is actually significantly cheaper than paying a laborer to perform the same function.
Topograph this was not a contractor this was the county I have been all over this Island and seen police flagging for the county ever where they work.The county could and hire andtrain people who would to do this for $15 phr plus benfits which is about 70% of of the pay per hour.This woul make the cost about $25.0 per hour. I have never been on a roadtrip on this island where the county is not doing some can of road work so this give someone a good paying job instead giving a police person that is making a min of $50,000 a year plus benfiet a second job.Does the police get$35 per hr plus benfiets?

jrw
jrw