Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to the Volcano Winery ?
I'm not a wine expert by any stretch so take this for what it's worth: I'm not impressed with Volcano wines, and think they are way overpriced for what you get. Tastier wines can be found at Long's for considerably less, and sometimes higher-end wines are on sale for about the same price...I'm talking $18-$21 range. Again, jmho, with an emphasis on the "h". Wink

But I do see the appeal for tourists, so more power to Volcano Winery. I wish them continued success.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Went there several years ago,Tasted the wine? don't understand how they label this as wine?
I agree, the wine is not that good. The reason we buy it on occasion is to support local business.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
An interesting side note (at least to me): Several years ago I was attending a garden show in Stuart Fl. I took up conversation with one of the vendors representing a large nursery somewhere in S. Fl. They were exhibiting potted jaboticaba trees as part of their display. Having recently returned from the trip during which I visited the winery I mentioned that the Volcano Winery made wine from the fruit. I was surprised to learn that they were very familiar with the winery explaining that they had a large grove(?) of jaboticaba and the that the winery had tried to buy their fruit from them and have it shipped to the winery. They further explained that for what the winery was wiling to pay for it they would just as soon have it rot on the ground. This isn't an indictment of the winery as their balance sheet isn't my bees wax but I found it interesting just the same.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Are there any respectable Hawaii wines?
quote:
Originally posted by KeaauRich

Are there any respectable Hawaii wines?

Can't speak for quality but wiki says:

Three main wineries operate in Hawaii:
Tedeschi Vineyards (on Maui)
Volcano Winery (on Hawaii Island)
Diamond Head Winery (on Oahu)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_wine

We had our Volcano wine last night and my wife compared it to my homemade wine. (not a compliment)
It doesnt matter if the wine is any good, if they are getting 8 dollars per head to taste it. Sounds like they've figured out their business model.
I do not think they 'make' wine in Volcano. They tried to grow grapes initially but I think that effort went bust, so they fell back on buying fruit syrup
In my experience, the best place to get good tasting, cheap wine is France.
Aloha pam ... Missing your posts here on PW !

most sincerely,
pog