Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jury Duty - Hawaii only please
I received notice of jury duty once for a trial in Kona. Living in Pahoa that was intimidating. I called the jury office and explained my location and they let me off. They don't want to pay the mileage for a juror driving that far back and forth.

I have served on juries in the past, not in Hawaii, and I consider it a civic responsibility.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I too served on a jury once in the past, in California, and my company paid my salary but made us turn in the jury duty amt back to HR.

So my comparison :

Drive to Kona or drive 35 miles in rush hr traffic in LA to court house?

I think I would want some of you on my jury - agree or disagree some of the time.

My thought is do your civic duty.

I have not received a summons here but i would do it. I think it is important to exercise our duty that protects our rights even if it is a pain in the okole.
On the radio, it was announced that jury "eligibility questionnaires" would be mailed "randomly" to 250000 people; given the population of the State, the "average" person should receive one of these about every 4-6 years.

Somehow I've gotten one two years in a row. I have yet to serve.

The best part? As a self-employed person, serving on a jury means I don't work, which means no GET for the State, and no groceries for me...
Thanks for all the replies,

FWIW,

Molly and I stood in line to get our DL at the same day/time and we both received jury duty mail on the same day. I am registered to vote in Hawaii, I don't believe she has yet.

I agree with it being a responsibility FYI. I'm tickled already after reading the replies about whatever shenanigans the judge will pull on us... waiting till 7pm for nothing, etc, etc.

Personally, because of how busy my life is (college/work/glorified taxi) I kinda hope I get excused for some reason. I agree with knife, I wish they'd have summoned me during the summer.

Does anyone know if Students particularly working students get excused?

Mahalo
As I was a working student when i served the almost 5 month jury pool, nope, that is not it...

The whole sworn in jury pool is ...arcane would be a nice way to explain it... I have served in other states & federal, and they all have a general jury pool that any trial of the day can draw from, you are not in a jury pool for one specific trial & have to follow all of the shenanagins that this county has you do...

And when you are sent the jury notice, they have which court (Hilo or Kona) you are requested to go to, if it is more than 70mi, you do not have to appear, but in our jury pool, there were more than a couple of Kona-ites that drove all the way to Hilo, only to request a distance exemption!
When I talked to the clerk at the court she said her judge gives very few exemptions beyond the ones listed in the summons. Teachers and students and single parents are all required to serve, those are not considered valid excuses.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thanks ladies, that helps out a lot. I think I have a way better mindset to approach the situation now.
I was called and showed up for a pool. I imagine the case had to do with some kind of violence, because when asked if I was a violent person I stated that if my loved ones were ever life threatened I would not hesitate to do what needed to be done to keep them safe. It's the truth. I quickly ended up out on the street, much to my surprise. While it was not my intent to dodge duty, I was happier outside. Smile

The process is wildly tedious and boring and interrupting. But whatever... Anyhooz, that was my experience.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow