Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm happy to put something positive on Punatalk!
The eskimo elders seem to like me, god damn these blueberries are good.

One time in Nagano, we were drinking at a bar where my host and lodge owner was drinking campari and I was showing the bartender/owner how to mix a white russian. There was a gentleman who came in, another lodge owner there in Otari, well him and the bar owner were good friends. They were so impressed with my knowledge of cocktails and my general Americanness that they brought out their illegal pistols for me to look at, one was a 1911 which I proceeded to break down for them, they were very impressed. The next day a bear mauled and killed a young boy at a school bus stop, they shot it, and then shared with me and my companion the raw liver to eat. I spent the next week skiing and bonding with this elder Japanese man, he taught me quiet a bit. At the end of my stay, he gave me a Katana, this was a great honor. Flying home the Japanese security spotted the Katana in my ski bag immediately, they did not seem to have an issue with it after I told them that yes I was carrying a Katana. Going through the Chicago airport customs, the TSA scanned my bag, I watched as the unmistakable 4 foot curved steel blade showed up on their scanners when my skis went through, the TSA agents obviously did not notice it, I was amused. I was in line for an hour with that Katana in that airport, I could have massacred the whole line, it was razor sharp. I still cherish that Katana and the experience with that sensei.
Back to the OP's thread -

What a small world...

last tsunami warning (oct '12) Mike the (retired) cop was the guy doing the evacs in our area.

We still had not left when he came around and he said "do I have to call your mom?"

I love that despite all the things that happen here, it is still small enough that Mike knew my parents and could use that as a threat. Again no matter what the drama, lucky we live Hawaii.