Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does wood warp when shipped to the mainland?
I make and sell a variety of wooden plaques online and was wondering if anyone has shipped any flat Hawaiian wooden items to drier climates and had them warp.

I'm just not sure if the warping occurs during the first time the lumber was dried, or does it have the possibility to warp again after sitting in the humid air (soaking up moisture again) and then drying out in less humid climate.

Thanks to anyone that has some info on this subject.
A lot of variables to consider. What kind of wood is it? How thick is it. Is it laminated? Has it been sealed with something like a polyurethane?

1X will warp easier than 2X.
Humidity generally doesn't warp wood unless it's extremely high for long periods of time. Or exposed to sunlight repeatedly.
Wood immersed or soaked in water will warp. That's how wooden boats are built. The wood is soaked until it's soft then bent into shape dried and then waterproofed so it will hold its shape.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
1X cutting board style sealed on one side. Biggest plaques are 20"X14" Wanted to see if anyone had some first hand experience shipping wood to the mainland and having problems or not. Thanks.
i shipped a bunch years back. no problems. it was not green.
do not seal just one side. Seal all or none.
quote:
Originally posted by jlgerk

do not seal just one side. Seal all or none.

Agreed. Sealing only one side will cause warping, because one side can absorb and lose moisture, thus expanding and contracting, while the other side can't.
Oak furniture moved from Texas to Hilo, now in Arizona. No warping. Story boards from Micronesia and Marshall Islands, no warping. Perhaps important based on what I've seen in the thread...no sealing, just wood finished and stained.
a m here
I shipped a lot of wood to the mainland over the years, mostly koa. Only problem I ever encountered was with macadamia wood. It split a million ways. Shipping to humid areas shouldn't be a problem. To dry areas (such as AZ or NM) the wood could crack. Is this air dried or kiln dried lumber?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I don't know 8, its a product I pick up here at my local Lowes that's shipped in from Canada. It resembles a 1X cutting board and I believe its white pine.