Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana on inter-island flights
Has anyone with the medical marijuana permit carried a legal amount of marijuana to another island? I tried the HPD, Vice Squad and Narcotics Enforcement without an answer. The last call (recommended by Vice) was particularly frustrating as the tape says the message box is full so try again later. Recently this went before the Hawaii Supreme Court which ruled 4-1 in favor of a medical marijuana patient who was arrested at the Kona airport when TSA turned the guy over to the police. For 2 grams. So, has anyone openly carried? Has TSA heard of the new ruling? (I accidentally posted this same thing on the Punaweb Farm forum.
Since TSA is a Federal Agency and pot is still illegal under Federal Law,I wouldn't recommend it.

TSA may just call in the FBI to make the arrest next time.

This is the rest of that ruling.

"The newspaper said the court’s narrow ruling also said that a medical marijuana user may be prosecuted under federal law, which apply at airports."

My boyfriend recently (last month) went to Oahu from Hilo with a friend in a wheelchair who has a medical marijuana license to help with the in & out of the plane, cabs, etc. As soon as TSA saw the Medical license, they were put right thru security - no problem.

Live Aloha
Live Aloha

TSA agents are required to report when they find doob because they are not qualified to determine whether or not its legal.After then it's up to airport security to decide what they are going to do with it and the passengers.In Hawaii airport security is contracted to a private company.Because of all the variables eech experience will be unique.
Obie is right, BIN article says it's legal, BUT federal laws applies at airports, guess it would depend on the TSA agents!

http://bigislandnow.com/2013/06/03/supre...na-patient

http://westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news...ction.html

Contact State Sen. Josh Green (808) 586-9385 to see if there is any updates on carrying medical marijuana on inter-island flights.