Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lava flow article in newspaper
I just read an article that states that the "new flow will not reach inhabited areas for at least a year". What? This sounds really soon! I know someone else posted maps a while ago, but evidently the flow going into the ocean has stopped and been rerouted to the northern flow. What inhabited areas are directly in the path?? There are a lot of people in that area I think?
Got a link to that article?
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
The slow transition of activity from the Peace Day flow to the Kahaualea flow marks a dramatic change in the risk posed by the eruption. Unless there is a significant change at Puu Oo, the Kahaualea flow poses no imminent threat to infrastructure, but will likely continue advancing toward the northeast, burning forest as it does. It could eventually reach communities far downslope, but fortunately, the east rift zone eruptive output remains weak. At its current pace, the Kahaualea flow would take more than a year to reach populated areas.
http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/volcano-...r-31-years

Also, recent thread about this flow:
http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17515
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It's all posted on the HVO website - always has been, always will be. All you have to do is keep up. Maps, pictures, videos, weekly newspaper articles, community talks, etc. in fact, this month is volcano awareness month, hosted by HVO, with many outreach events planned island wide.
I had read stuff about this change in direction before, but I didn't really comprehend that the other flow had now stopped. I think this is significant unfortunately. I need to go and try and find some more maps, and look at this more.
I have one of those plastic 3 dimensional maps of the Island in my classroom, looking at it you can see how there is a very long shallow sloped trough stretching from the current eruption to the ocean that is basically between Hawaiian Acres/Ainaloa/HPP and Pahoa/Hawaiian beaches. Basically Books has the maps if you want to check for yourself.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thanks. Actually, I did just go look at a HVO map. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what this does. The main thing that I don't like when looking at the map, is that it has an "active lava tube" that is feeding that flow. I wonder how long it takes to plug these things up? I know it's pure speculation. We really have no way of knowing what that volcano will do.