Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Alaska
Hello from Alaska. I have been lurking on this forum for many years, being curious about moving to the Puna district and buying a couple of acres and building a modest, "for now" home, growing fruits and vegies, and raising some chickens. I would probably alternate between Hawaii in the winter and Alaska in the summer because of my occupation as a carpenter = good money up here in summer but the winters are killing me.
I currently live in the sticks 2 hours north of Anchorage in the Susitna Valley. I think that the Puna district would be a good fit for us because we are a bit crazy up here. My family consists of my wife and 2 children ages 3 and 14.
Is there any demand for good carpenters on the Big Island?
quote:
Originally posted by caswellian

Hello from Alaska. I have been lurking on this forum for many years, being curious about moving to the Puna district and buying a couple of acres and building a modest, "for now" home, growing fruits and vegies, and raising some chickens. I would probably alternate between Hawaii in the winter and Alaska in the summer because of my occupation as a carpenter = good money up here in summer but the winters are killing me.
I currently live in the sticks 2 hours north of Anchorage in the Susitna Valley. I think that the Puna district would be a good fit for us because we are a bit crazy up here. My family consists of my wife and 2 children ages 3 and 14.
Is there any demand for good carpenters on the Big Island?

Thought you would like a reply by now , so here it is, " yes there is a demand for good carpenters, but unless you get in the local carpenter's union ( a possibility), you will be getting offered a lot less money most of the time, than you may be used to receiving, but occasionally someone will pay you near what you are worth.
Aloha from the big island
From what you describe as what you want to achieve, you'll be too busy to work somewhere else! You already know how to bust through permafrost, so lava will be no big deal for you, but getting a garden (won't grow as big as Matanuska, but do grow!) with chickens (be sure it's OK to have them where you buy) plus building a home is busy time for all until all is up and running. Waiting for the inspector is a good time to work in the yard, study for Hawaii Contractors License, etc. then after "proving" yourself with the neighbors you will have time to do a few "customs". Side note: Dad and Grandfather worked at the Independence Mine in the late 30's. Pics back then are a trip to go through, too dang cccccold for me!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
I must have missed this somewhere!

Anyway, welcome to punaweb. Myself and my husband terracore are from Juneau. Lots of former Alaskans living here in Puna. Smile

I don't know anything about carpenters or that sort of thing, sorry. But again, welcome!

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
How is your cabinetry skill? I think a good carpenter could make a killing on locally produced cabinets and dressers.

These are in short supply and cost a fortune.
Our family is from Fairbanks, and we chose Puna for the same reason! It is a very good fit. We have a few "projects" that could use a carpenter's attention, so I don't think you would have much trouble finding work. I agree with Opihikoabob about the Union. Would be great if you could come check it out for a bit first. Good luck, maybe we will see you at Makuu market!