Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pu'U O'o lava
Anyone have tips for best way to see the new lava flow and not die and not get turned back by rangers?
If you look at the map you'll see it's pretty close to the vent itself. I would wait for it to get out back down to the ocean. Other wise your best bet would be to board a helicopter.

Personally I wouldn't venture out that close to the vent, too far and too risky. I don't know, do they still have the rangers at the end of the road? One could I suppose park at uncle roberts and hike in following the ocean, then up to the vent but you better have a GPS and LOTS of water, I would imagine that would be a REALLY LONG hike. Best be in good shape for it. Tho, I'd really talk to some EXPERIENCED people before hiking out there.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
I have a tip. Don't go!
Just wait until Pele sends her flows to the coast again and then hike out and see her.
I would strongly suggest you do NOT hike out to where she is flowing now,take a helicopter ride or small plane 1st.
If you do attempt this :
Take 10 gallons water with you,plenty 1st aid , a GPS locator beacon . several cell phones ,a few pairs of boots,and spare cloths.A tent and plenty high energy foods.
Park at Uncle Roberts and let the authorities know in advance where you are going in and when you are coming out.
Never go alone,go with a group as it is EXTREMELY dangerous hike.
It may take 3 days all in all.
Not worth it.......
Just wait till Pele is close to the coast .
Plenty tubes you can fall in up there on the pali,and never be seen again.
1st thing i would do is take the Mauna Ulu hike in the national park.
If it is easy for you at 5 hours in and out,then do that times 10 and you get the idea
Mauna Ulu parking lot to the top of Mauna Ulu and back down.
See how well you do and how you feel,then see if you can handle doing the Pu'u O'o flow hike.Check with Rangers at National Park 1st,as it may be off limits.
From the top of Mauna Ulu on a clear day,you can see with good binocs right into Pu'u O'o crater.
That is as close as we would ever go and the safest and legal.
The current flow is forming very close to the main vent of Pu`u O`o, on top of a very recent flow (read this as it is not yet cooled), forming a second shield and vent next to the original vent.

USGS images will show the reason WHY posters are advising not to go (esp. the thermal images, there is still latent heat in the old flow with the new flow on top...), but I would caution that even from the ocean, this is a trek that will probably turn you back, as the two vents are now really cranking out gases... almost double the total for the entire mountain that was recorded prior to the new vent opening on the 27th....

Enjoy the images, and if you must go right now, take to the air... this is not something to attempt by foot right now, not even the seasoned trekkers that I know of are going right now (and the expert photogs I know have only gone by air for this flow... if they are paying...well....these guys would know!):
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/index.php?newSearch=true&display=custom&volcano=1&resultsPerPage=20
Shortest path by foot is from Glenwood, but if you have to ask on an Internet forum then you have no business trying this.

Mauna Ulu, helicopter tour, wait for ocean entry - all excellent suggestions.
quote:
Originally posted by aramis720

Anyone have tips for best way to see the new lava flow and not die and not get turned back by rangers?

Um, my tip is to stay out of areas that rangers don't allow you to go. It states clearly on the VNP and USGS sites right now that there are no flows in legally accessible areas. They are all in closed areas.

How not to die? Try listening to the Rangers.
Thanks everyone.