Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow - I just drove down 132
We cleared the south section of government beach road from waa waa to just past papaya farms road the following morning after iselle hit. That provided access to pahoa through Leilani estates. There are many people who live along that section of road thus it was a priority. From waa waa to the beaches there are no residents and therefore not as important to clear. The ironwood forest has been substantially cleared by iselle and you can see the ocean from a few sections of the beach road that were previously blocked by forest. The north section of government beach road is no longer the same in appearance.
Yay,The tree tunnel of impending death is gone. The drive thru there is now beautiful in a different way.You can now see the stars and moon at night and the sun in the daytime.
The south section of government beach road hasn't changed much. The big mango trees held up very well. Most of the trees I was pushing out of the way and breaking up with the backhoe were junk trees and one giant guava and albezia that needed chainsaw work. After clearing the first mile by backhoe the gang showed up with chainsaws. I had a blow out on a front tire and had to skid the hoe back home for a refill on the tire... that ended up sweeping much of the road clean. Then I went back to cleanup the rest after the chainsaw gang seperated the few remaining trees by papaya farms road. So that was my day after the storm.
And the miconia stands! No more tree tunnel may make a fine situation for the spread of this other terrible invasive. It seems all areas cleared by fallen albizias around here have very proud miconia standing tall. Uugh!
How many ways can we measure the failures of DLNR?

Can anyone point out a DLNR success?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
After seeing that road covered over the way it was all my life here, I like the way it is now, all open,bright,airy. Not gloomy like it used to be.
quote:
Originally posted by deserteagle50ae
After seeing that road covered over the way it was all my life here, I like the way it is now, all open,bright,airy. Not gloomy like it used to be.
The one benefit of all those albizia going down is that views are opening up, it isn't so dark and gloomy in some areas and there are more ocean breezes. Also, the ohia start thriving once that canopy is over them is gone. The ohia are really impressive, they look like they would just snap in two in heavy wind but they can really bend quite aways before the root structure gives up. Raising albizia eradication priority needs to happen and funded. Adding up the monetary damage of what was mostly albizia damage should justify to the state and county to at least clear their land of albizia.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*