Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relief
Yesterday I was honored to be able to make a delivery of supplies to the Nanawale community center. These folks are in desperate straits (as we all are or were but they don't even have water catchment there). I haven't noticed water tanker trucks out. Why can't the county make a deal with these companies to park a tanker at strategic locations? It could make a huge difference for exhausted people who wouldn't have to travel so far daily in search of basic needs. (Flushing?)

Julie in HPP
1 island 2 another
Julie - Nanawale has perfectly functioning county water spigots near the top of the subdivision. You drove right past it to get to the community center... Most of the people in the front/top portion of the subdivision don't have catchment tanks because they have county water to their house.
Yep, I live in nanawale and have never been more thankful to have county water. Running water and a flushing toilet truly are luxuries. That said some people in nanawale do have catchment but like Leilanidude said, there is fill-up station in the subdivision.
Julie, County & private water trucks have been going out every day, and as road access is opened, they are servicing more areas.(at least 2 of the private haulers have not only donated their services, but much more)

The Nanwale group is totally awesome & are offering supplies and assistance to people not just in Nanawale, but to people in all areas of upper & lower Puna.

It is my hope that after this disaster, EVERY community center in this state is required to take some lessons from Nanawale community center on how to coordinate a community center to do disaster response...
Thanks all for the info. I didn't notice the taps down there. I just noticed the bedraggled hordes.

1 island 2 another
1 island 2 another
I agree with Carey. Although I had moved off island three weeks ago, I still called neighbors next to my house (which I sold) in Nanawale to get a report on conditions in our neighborhood. It sounded like my area fared much better than the lower and the east side of the subdivision. I must say that Robert and the staff at the long house have always been very helpful. It is wonderful to read that the people there came through with offers of help and supplies. It is a great subdivision!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Since this thread is "Relief" I found the link for the Ag Relief, so if you know of anyone with farm loses, have them check out this link:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/blog/main/stormagloans/