Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VLBA facility and vehicles damaged on Mauna Kea
Have to remember that one...

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/dc7/...5BKMi.jpeg

the state was not able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not mentally ill at the time of the attack

The temperature and oxygen levels are adequate, but no sign of intelligent life here.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

The defendant (Coleman) chose to have a non-jury trial. The outcome was that the state was not able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not mentally ill at the time of the attack so has been given a conditional release.

#1. That's a new one to me - the state has to prove that a defendant is not mentally ill in order to prosecute him??? That's downright scary - the state couldn't prove that half the criminal defendants that they prosecute aren't mentally ill at the time of the crime. I can see this decision being used a lot in the future...

Which brings me to:
#2. I wouldn't count on our state's legal brain trust to prove that the sky was blue when the sun is shining...
Perhaps we should be checking the judges mental stability before the are allowed to sit in court.

..And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made...
Perhaps we should be checking the judges mental stability before the are allowed to sit in court.

But can we prove... beyond a reasonable doubt... that a judge is not mentally stable before they preside over a case? Even after? Maybe it was just some bad sushi s/he ate for lunch, and the affects will wear off by tomorrow?

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
And this little judicial gem is surprise because . . . ? Typical day in the Hawaii legal system.