Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possibly the 1st ferry proposal to the county...
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

... It doesn't seem like the airstrip is the issue, but the planes and pilots might be hard to find here.

When airlines bid on an essential air service contract, they have to supply the planes and pilots to fulfill the contract and get the subsidy. If it was the type of traffic that a 130 cutoff would generate, companies from all over the country would likely bid on the contract. (The group that had the contract at Waimea before Mokulele was based out of Arizona) Getting planes and the pilots isn't difficult. The planes would probably get leased and if there aren't enough pilots in Hawaii willing to work the job, others would come for the adventure and paycheck. Might even still be some unemployed Go! pilots in the state.

The subsidy is a flat rate so that the company has the funds to dedicate equipment and manpower even if there aren't enough fares/passengers to support the service.
A ferry? not for commuting purposes. That is just not feasible, unless we are talking about big ferries, like the one whose project died an ugly death.

Call me a fatalist, but even if Railroad was to be left untouched by the lava, life for the folk in lower Puna is going to be extremely challenged. Do you all remember the traffic on 130 in the am and the pm, do you think that Railroad can accommodate such usage?

Folk need to get groceries and fresh water from the spigots on the highway. They also need to go to town for medical and schooling purposes.

I read the proposal for the ferry. First of all I applaud their entrepreneurial spirit, but it is kind of delusional to think that a the County Government who made the poorest of the folk in Puna pay 2 dollars to take a rickety bus to Hilo plus a dollar per bag, is going to subsidized costly ferry trips for the hundreds who are going to be needing them. Mr. Illigan was the first one to bark against free bus fares, indicating that the Country could not afford to subsidize riders.

If the lava comes to Pahoa, most folk will have to relocate out of Puna, In my view that is reality, and the Government needs to start working on those issues. They do not want to talk diversion, well they will have to talk mass migration now.

jdo
jdo