Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lava flow and pigs (puaa)
With the lava comin' down the mountain, certain the puaa would be on the move.
Is anyone seeing them, such as mauka of Pahoa?

Opihikao, what do we need to know about the relationship between Pele and puaa (in all forms)?
I have plenty pigs around my yard lately. See it as extra food sent by Pele!! Need to fire up my freezer!! So tasty...

punalvr
punalvr
Aloha, Sir,

We were taught the relationship between Kamapua'a and Pele is one that was extremely passionate and then volatile. Here is a short version of their story:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NAWebiC2gasC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=pele+and+kamapua'a&source=bl&ots=_foXtWDGhO&sig=mC3sG8C2yjG38UhSMPP4F1VDdd4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5WgeVOqrC5DioAS4loCgCg&ved=0CHgQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=pele%20and%20kamapua'a&f=false

This link a very good (extensive document, dated 1891) writing of the history between the two. This is the closest I could find to what we were told by our kupuna:

(*Note: Read "Issue 8", Pages beginning with 86/105/116/124/133/147. Use the page number on the top right of document)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFMQFjAFOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fscholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F10125%2F21096%2Fdorton_1982_r.pdf%3Fsequence%3D1&ei=5WgeVOqrC5DioAS4loCgCg&usg=AFQjCNFC2tRfs17DJZ614dLEjYluHOkLuA&sig2=_fqXll3jJFR_t9d1TEwg1A&bvm=bv.75775273,d.cGU

We were taught when taking pork (cooked or raw) in your vehicle, especially at night, we always wrapped a ti leaf around it. Bringing pork into "Pele's aina" was taunting her, since they had an agreement that Kamapua'a would stay on his side of the island.

As an aside, some of our nephews swear they have seen Kamapua'a in Puna while hunting. A supposedly enormous pig, that cannot be caught, disappears quickly when seen, and dogs will not chase this one at all. Some of them feel "funny kine" when hunting in certain areas, because it feels like Kamapua'a is watching them. He better not be over here on Tutu Pele's turf!

All I know is I don't take kalua pig in my car without my ti leaf. Ever. FWIW.

My aloha to your lovely wife, please. Be safe.

JMO.
Find a way to cook pig with lava, package and sell it via web - Pele's Portk, or Pele's Pulled Pork
quote:
Originally posted by punalvr

I have plenty pigs around my yard lately. See it as extra food sent by Pele!! Need to fire up my freezer!! So tasty...

punalvr

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Oh, I have my smoker,, So tasty and tender!! No need for Malama!! I always share with my neighbors, as they share with me.. Ohana rules!

punalvr
punalvr
Lava might overcook, and wont be tender! LOL

punalvr
punalvr
Cooking with 2000 degree temperatures may have a tendency to overcook both the meat as well as the chef.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".