Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken Man is Moving
quote:
Originally posted by lavarat

Watching the feral chickens in my yard in HPP was fascinating. I didn't have dogs, so they lived in my trees. I once saw a hen corral about 10 chicks in a tight group, then flew about 20 feet to attack a mongoose that was stalking them.

That IS very interesting. I didn't know chickens were that smart, however many different species of birds are highly intelligent. Personally I was a bit put off by seeing the poor chickens riding on the handlebars of his bike especially with cars all around. Even if the chick is to be dinner that night, no need to traumatize her. I appreciate the way most American Indian tribes have historically shown due respect for animals as a part of their daily life.
So sad to see Tom go. He is always one of the highlights to our trips to Puna. A true Punatic. Wish him "Aloha" from another chicken lover/farmer. If I were closer I would adopt ALL his babies!
I also learned why the little chicks are chirping all the time. When one of them strays and can't hear the others close by, it begins to chirp real loud. The mother hen then instructs the group to stay put and goes looking for the stray chick.

There were two hens and one rooster in my yard. They were on their own...I didn't feed them anything because I was renting and didn't want them to get used to being fed. One time one of the hens disappeared, but returned about two weeks later with 14 chicks. When they were resting, she would puff up and all the chicks would disappear under her feathers. Sadly the attrition rate was very high. One by one the numbers went down, starting with the light colored chicks. Only two made it to almost being grown when I left.
Tom is moving north of Hilo. Pepeekeo, I think. I pray he stays safe on that bike of his. He broke his leg a couple of years ago. He is a very nice man. Praying the best for him!

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
I am to meet him tomorrow sometime. Yes, chickens are smart if you give them the love. Just like with any creature on earth. They will respond to your love.
I can't wait.
Much Aloha

punalvr
punalvr
Opihikao, Thank you for your kind words.
We both know Karma.
We will be fine!
Mahalo!

punalvr
punalvr