Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa Pool extended hours for night swimming
Pahoa pool is now open for night time swimming! Been a long time in the making.
Pool will be open with public swim til 8 pm today (1/20), tomorrow and Friday. Next week, there will be extended hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
If you like these new elongated hours please call the pool at 965-2700 and let them know! [Big Grin]
This is great news, especially for the employed who have never been able to swim after work. This is a trial, and will only continue if they have evening swimmers. Being winter, my guess is there may be low attendance. Summer would have been a better time to try this out, but this is a great start. Pass on the news and if you swim, try a night swim! With our dry weather and sunny days, the pool water has been refreshing and not too chilly.
It is not clear if they are staying open through 8 or will close for dinner the way they close for lunch on the weekends. The Aquatics website does not say anything about these new hours. Does anyone know?
Great for Politics, but needs more thought.

Even with added lights, the pool complex is dark. There are no lights in the pool either. Big Time liability. Now is the time to slip and fall if you are trying to collect on a Hawaiian lottery...aka a settlement. Billy is a lawyer. He should know about liability. I guess lava flow politics wins out on this one.

I'm not against night hours. I think it is great. But more thought needs to go in to this. At this time of the year, it is cold. Don't expect much folks to want to swim at night. During the summer is a whole different story. Kids are out of school. Days are longer. Sun is up and the air is warm. THAT should be the time to pilot an extended hours program. Perhaps it should coincide with the health and wellness programs Billy and Augie T are pushing. When will the county ever learn that the "build it and they will come" approach only works in the movies? This project is doomed from the start. Sorry. Don't hate the messenger.
2Liveque: "This project is doomed from the start."

Pessimist much? You must be really fun to live with.

That pool is heavily used, and there are a lot of Pahoa swimmers who work in Hilo who are freezing their butts off at Kawamoto who will switch to Pahoa once they become aware there is a Pahoa alternative. I do think they need to continue the experiment at least into spring to get a realistic idea of the demand, also move the long lane swimming to right after opening instead of keeping families out of the pool during the peak family hours, kids aren't even allowed in the kiddie pool or on deck while 3-4 people swim laps.
the "build it and they will come" approach only works in the movies?

Puna is more of a "don't build it and they come anyway".

they need to continue the experiment at least into spring

They need to be consistent in any case, unlike Redemption Roulette.
They are staying open straight through until 8:00 pm Mon. Wed. Fri. and are not closing for dinner like they do for lunch on weekends.

I agree about changing the long course hours which benefit few.