Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sprint Cell Coverage in Puna
Hello, I live in the lower part of HPP, Kaloli side and was wondering if anybody uses Sprint as a cell carrier and if so, how good of a connection you get? Thanks in advance.
I'm on Beach Road and have Virgin Mobile, which uses the Sprint Network.
Voice calls are rarely possible down here, a steady signal seems to kick in somewhere around the middle of the park.
Text messaging is OK near the ocean, better than voice.
When my phone finally gives out, I'll switch to Verizon. Friends with Verizon never seem to have a connection problem down here.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Verizon is well worth the $ if you can spare it. We got the cheapest plan. about 70$ month.
Changed to them (from AT&T) after Izelle. The only time I could "phone home" and let everybody know we were ok was when the cop drove by the house and let me use his phone. Verizon.
This is the first time in 30 years I've had cell service in HPP.
No more standing in the street, roaming the back yard, or having to drive up Maku'u 20 blocks to get a signal.
Page Plus is a prepaid service that works on Verizon's Network. I'm considering them when the time comes to switch carriers. Very basic plan starts at $29.95. They seem to have good reviews:

Notable for running on Verizon's network, Page Plus will support most Verizon non-LTE phones out of the box. If you don't mind 3G data, their affordable plans are a great way to take advantage of Verizon's great coverage.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-find-the-be...-485042945
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Verizon has the best coverage, ATT/Sprint tie for second, T-Mobile is the worst.

Note that when a Verizon MVNO says "non-LTE device", they mean it, and will not activate an LTE-capable device, even as "3G only".

Note also that femtocells will NOT work with MVNO carriers.

Hello Puna....Thanks for your info on Sprint in HPP. I talked with the Sprint store in Hilo today and they were very helpful in that they said they don't even promote Sprint in HPP. They know of just a few who use it and they lose connection after Keaau. This is not a viable option and I do not get the feeling they they will do anything in the near future. They may be able to cut your bill but that is not helpful if the service is not available. Ah, too bad.