Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highway 130 shoulder inbound to Pahoa lane is open
@ ericip...The light at the school is a joke.

i agree...possible solution...NO Lift Turn at first light for traffic from Pahoa to Keaau...Turn at second lite...this would also reduce traffic in the area of the schools (also may reduce traffic infraction revenue for da pole-ese)...taken a step further, traffic wanting to make a Left onto 130 toward Hilo from the schools should be required to use the second light as well...thoughts?

Unfortunately, these are all entirely too sensible of solutions to ever be enacted by HDOT.
traffic wanting to make a Left onto 130 toward Hilo from the schools should be required to use the second light as well...

You might want to ask Keaau Middle School parents who live in Keaau about that. They would have to pull into the school entrance, then try to make a left hand turn on their way out with no stoplight. There are usually several blocks of cars on the side of the road at that intersection waiting to pick up their kids every afternoon.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

traffic wanting to make a Left onto 130 toward Hilo from the schools should be required to use the second light as well...

You might want to ask Keaau Middle School parents who live in Keaau about that. They would have to pull into the school entrance, then try to make a left hand turn on their way out with no stoplight. There are usually several blocks of cars on the side of the road at that intersection waiting to pick up their kids every afternoon.

above may be true but...with NO traffic from the first light trying to get to Keaau town the left turn from the mauka school may be quite easy.
[quote]Originally posted by leilanidude

"Traffic lights cause more accidents than they prevent and needlessly waste fuel.
"

I agree about the credit union but if like me, you have to cross Pahoa Bound traffic from Mauka i.e. pohaku place, pohaku drive, to drive toward Hilo it is and has been a nightmare proposition to make it into the dreaded suicide lane. A light at Shower would at least provide some traffic break of Pahoa bound traffic and perhaps save a life or two.
Amrita - did you read what I proposed on how to alleviate that issue?
My jury is still out whether the new system is any better or worse than before. I did the Keaau Crawl the other day at less than 10 MPH and after the lanes were merged the single lane traffic was only going 20 MPH well past Shower. It eventually got up to about 30. Two lanes merging into a 20 MPH lane is going to be slow. I don't know why the traffic was so slow- there wasn't anything to rubberneck at. Other days, the new system seems to work great.

My observations: 1) After the merge, people need to drive faster. 2) On the mainland where there is no aloha, nobody would ever dream of letting somebody into their lane if they knew the merge was coming up for miles but waited until the last 50 feet of lane to do it. They ride each others arses to keep them out and punish such behavior. Mainland traffic mentality design / mitigation doesn't work here. Normally that's a great thing (no road rage) but when nobody uses 2 miles of merge lane because they think they can "get ahead 5 car lengths" and cause a bottleneck at the end...

ETA: grammar
Terracore;

There aren't two miles of merge lanes; there are two miles of double lane highway coming out of Hilo. The merge was a couple hundred feet of merge just past the High School, and now a couple of hundred feet of merge a little further up the road towards Pahoa.

There is absolutely NO way several miles of double lane crowded traffic is going to merge into one without a slowing/stopping. That's why it's called a bottleneck. It's physics, and no different than dumping a bucket of water through a funnel without slowing your pour rate.

I've put my time in on the Harbor Freeway commute and the same thing happens there. Bottlenecks cause delay, and are never designed to be permanent, but usually a result of construction.

I'm going to wait until the job is finished to pass judgement. Meanwhile; we can mitigate when possible by carpooling, staggering commute hours, and realizing that as bad as it is; it's better than doing it in LA.