Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERRIE MONARCH!
It is that time of year, all!

Here is the official Merrie Monarch site to peruse:

http://www.merriemonarch.com/

Drive safely, be extra patient, and enjoy the festivities. Lots of people are already in town, many more coming. Combined with the efforts on Mauna Kea, this should be a very "mana filled" week.

Going to watch mo'opuna dance for Uncle Johnny Lum Ho's opening day performance tomorrow (Sunday, 4/5). [Smile]

Enjoy!

JMO.
I love Merrie Monarch time; there is such a feeling of excitement and anticipation in town.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Me too, Lee M-S. The smell of the flowers that fill the air, the building excitement from tomorrow towards the competition, our little Hilo town flourishing in such a festive cultural event. The fringe of the Merrie Monarch competition is much more enveloping than the event itself.

The mana that fills Moku o Keawe during this time is indescribable. As the halau prepare, the musicians practice their songs, the people who work behind the scenes, from food vendors to security, to stage prep & filming, to craft fairs, to our visitors and residents/neighbors, we mahalo.

The "mana" actually began last night with the magnificent eclipse of the mahina (moon). If we watch carefully, the elements will be quite present this time around. Again.

We are so blessed. [Smile]

ETA: JMO.

Even if you were not able to get competition tickets, plenty to do all week, from the hula around the hotels & Imiloa, to the free Ho`olaulea tomorrow at Affook Chinon auditorium across the field from the Edith Kanaka`ole stadium, the free night (most folks do get in, even if you are WAYYYY out in line by the baseball fields..) of dance on Wednesday at the EK stadium

AND THE PARADE next Saturday...oh, the colors & the floats & the bands & the Pa`u riders & the lei & the scoopers... soo wonder-filled for young & old

Bestest parade on Island!

AND the competition, from the Miss Aloha - outstanding examples of training & heritage, The Kane & Wahine competitions... the raw kahiko to the graceful `auana... and we get to have it all here, in Hilo... for a week, the center of all things hula!

Add: one of the truly blessed times is if you are up at Halema`uma`uma when a halua from across the sea (another island or continent) is there... chicken skin times!
Merrie Monarch should be banned. None of our observers can find hotel rooms and rental cars, well, it's a disgrace.

Joking of course!

On the odd time I've had a visitor here during Merrie Monarch (see above) they've loved the occasion. It's something Hilo can be proud of. Personally, I never liked the last night, but the Friday night stuff is always awesome. I forget the names, my apologies, but I'm nearly always at work during Merrie Monarch so don't get to watch it too often. No exception this year...
Day one, lots of fun at the Ho`olaulea & a surprise film sneak preview, & now 2 hours on KFIVE of last years highlights...

Hula is here!