Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fancy Guppies. Anyone breeding?
Hawaii used to be known for it's exceptional fancy guppy lines, but sadly that tradition is no more.

I'm trying to avoid importing into the state, and wondering if anyone local is breeding them?
I'm not sure about fancy guppies, but several people in the Water Garden Club raise koi, goldfish, tilapia, and whateves; there will be a presentation by one of them in May. You could come and ask at any meeting. Meetings are informal, open to all, and members are friendly.

Big Island Water Garden Club
3rd Tuesday every month, 7 pm at Kea'au Community Center
Each month includes a presentation, very brief business meeting, potluck pupus, plant auction, and a plant giveaway.
April 21 Sean Callahan "Bog Plants and Their Care"
May 19 Richard Fujioka "The Right Fish for Your Pond"

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
The pet store on Kilauea gets their guppies locally. There is also a guy who sells fish he breeds from his house who lives on one of the streets off Haihai, but I can't give you better directions than that. Someone else may be able to help, but at least you now know there are guppy breeders here still.
Mr Sakai is definitely worth visiting.
Pretty amazing guy.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sakais-pet-store-hilo
Unfortunately Mr. Sakai has tanks full of a lot of diseased and dead fish covered in mold floating at the top at this point, kinda sad. I've checked Stacey's, Jordans, G's Aquatics... still cant find anyone local. I guess I could import some and start breeding myself.
There was a guy named Bob who had a big tropical fish farm on the driveway into Puna Geothermal. Not sure what is up with them these days, but they were doing guppies, swords,etc.
Pahoa feed sells guppies, but I don't know what kind.
The guy off Haihai's name is "Richard the Guppy Guy" as far as I know. He's got tons of fancy guppies and water lilies and lotus. Aha! Google Earth! I looked it up. He's at 20 Malaai road up above Hilo. Ainaola Drive to Hoaka then to Malaai and he's the second house from the corner and his yard is full of red clay pots full of water and guppies. I bought some guppies from him several years ago and they were lovely. I think they're still in the stock tank at the old house.

Wonder if Mr. Sakai is still in business? He had a nice little shop there with fishes other folks didn't have. He's been there forever, though and I don't think he ever got an assistant.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson