Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanksgiving
Oh boy Thunderfoot you made my day! I so enjoyed your post. Growing up in the Buffalo, New York area I was quite clost to Niagara Falls. There is a huge NA convention center there called "The Turtle." There are wonderful classes and pow wows held there...very spiritual!

quote:
Yes,we should enjoy ourselves at holidays,but let us never forget the deeper spiritual meaning you are celebrating in the first place.I wish not to offend,but am very passionate about depth in my life.As far as you helping,well,that is easily fixed.Come donate your time here at the Native American Center,968-1111,or come learn.There are even small things like dropping your recycleables off to any Arc of Hilo site and tell it is a donation for the Native American Center.People can buy alfalfa cubes and leave em at Miranda's feed store to help feed the buffalo;or whatever.Pick a real non-profit to help out of your choice.Creative volunteerism and education is where we can help ourselves,our brothers and sisters,the planet and our future.

Mahalo.

Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

“Some people bring happiness ‘wherever’ they go, others - ‘whenever’ they go.” - Oscar Wilde
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
quote:
quote:
from Julie:

However, for me, I wish we could change the holiday in some way or another to make amends in some way to those who we have taken from and killed to steal their land. That was my original point. I don't know how that could be done at this point, but it is something I think about for sure.
Hope everyone has good health and happiness always.
Julie
relpy from Thunderfoot:
julie,we can not change the past,what has been done,has been done.It is what we do from here that counts.And yes,everyone,family and friends and enjoyment are wonderful,but let us not forget we need at least one day a year where people take the time to stop and be thankful.To be thankful for everything,not just the ordinary mundane train of thought.Problem is,many people like living in fairy worlds where there is no ugliness.That is unrealalistic.We are here to experience many things in this journey of life;some will be pleasureable,some will be painful,and all those in between.The depth of thanking I am talking about,very few ever ponder.So,Thanks Julie for bringing forth the opportunity to teach and learn.And there is discussion on the wind that Thanksgiving might be turned into Native American day.And yes,I know the symantics of that phrase,Native American.I mean a day for recognition and honoring of the indigenous people of the Great Turtle Island(America).Turlte Island is what my people called it before America.Okay,I have gone on long enough about that,probably more than u wanted to know again.

Yes,we should enjoy ourselves at holidays,but let us never forget the deeper spiritual meaning you are celebrating in the first place.I wish not to offend,but am very passionate about depth in my life.As far as you helping,well,that is easily fixed.Come donate your time here at the Native American Center,968-1111,or come learn.There are even small things like dropping your recycleables off to any Arc of Hilo site and tell it is a donation for the Native American Center.People can buy alfalfa cubes and leave em at Miranda's feed store to help feed the buffalo;or whatever.Pick a real non-profit to help out of your choice.Creative volunteerism and education is where we can help ourselves,our brothers and sisters,the planet and our future.

I am on the mainland. Just so you know. I am sure there are tribes here that could use help however. Thanks for the idea.