Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii ranked best state to retire
This kind of offsets that Hawaii is the worst place to work.

The secret for me was to move to the mainland and live in a state that had a low cost of living .
When I retired I had already bought a house here with the equity in my mainland house.

I always enjoy this lists, but am always baffled by them. I see they have Iowa ranked second. While I find Iowans to be agreeable company and solid citizens, I'm pretty sure even THEY don't want to retire in Iowa.
quote:
Originally posted by Obie...
When I retired I had already bought a house here with the equity in my mainland house...

You forgot to mention you retired from an airline and have flight benefits. Makes your summer trips back to the mainland cheaper.

I find the high cost of airfare to visit family one of the disadvantages to living on the Big Island.
I haven't been able to use that benefit for a few years because flights are full.I pay all my bills with a credit card and use miles now.

Having spent almost 30 years in Hawaii means: I spent most of my working adult life here in Hawaii minus just a few years years. It's a little more difficult.

Retiring and then coming here may be easier I guess.

But wouldnt trade all those years for more money.

Government retirees don't pay state income tax!
Agree Big Island great place to retire and enjoy Aloha, Nature, Ocean, & Climate, etc.. At least as long as health & retirement funds allow.