Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
island-wide traffic/speed count
In the last week or so, the "two rubber hose" devices for measuring traffic count and speed have appeared all over the island (130, 11, Saddle Rd, downtown Hilo, etc).

It's obvious "what" is being measured, less clear "for whom" and "what they're planning to do with it" -- I'm sure it's just a State agency working out how best to not distribute funds to this island, does anyone know more?
Nothing of the sort. Just some routine Reinstated Kingdom infrastructure assessment as part of the overall transition.
I love how people think they can get a speed off of driving over a rubber hose. The more obvious reason for TWO rubber hoses is direction of traffic at certain times of day.

Not all cars have the same wheel base and it would be impossible to get accurate speeds.
There is a permanent traffic counting device installed up on Saddle Road near m.m 41 and the intersection up to Waikii Ranch.
ericlp, those hoses are used to measure traffic speed, volume and density. The information is then used to plan speed traps, road improvements, budgeting for roads, etc. They are separated at a specified distance. When anyone's front wheels cross one then the other, speed can be calculated for any vehicle regardless of wheel base.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

I love how people think they can get a speed off of driving over a rubber hose. The more obvious reason for TWO rubber hoses is direction of traffic at certain times of day.

Not all cars have the same wheel base and it would be impossible to get accurate speeds.

Just... wow. I love how you came to that conclusion. They do indeed get speeds from two rubber hoses, as well as being able to differentiate direction, how many axles the vehicle has - some even differentiate between bicycles and motor vehicles. Why would wheelbase length make any difference? Each axle hits each hose once.

Here's a link to a sell sheet for one brand, showing the kind of reports they can produce: http://www.jamartech.com/files/TRAX_Apol...ochure.pdf

We are everywhere...
...we are everywhere...
THEY KNOW ALL! THE END TIME IS NIGH! AVOID THE ROADS!
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

THEY KNOW ALL! THE END TIME IS NIGH! AVOID THE ROADS!

AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE, STAY UNDER THE FOREST CANOPY SO THEY CAN'T TRACK YOU WITH SATELLITES!

...we are everywhere...
...we are everywhere...