Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal lawsuit to block Native Hawaiian election
This piece from the HNL newspaper will probably go into paid access only by midnight tonight:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=321814401

A snip:
"Four Native Hawaiians and two non-Hawaiians filed a lawsuit Thursday in U.S. District Court in Honolulu seeking to block a “race-based” and “viewpoint-based” election planned this fall as a step toward establishing a sovereign Hawaiian government.

The lawsuit, which was filed against the state of Hawaii, Office of Hawaiian Affairs trustees and other “agents of the state,” argues that the election violates the U.S. Constitution and the Voting Rights Act by using race and political qualifications to determine voter eligibility."
Mahalo, Chunkster. West Hawaii has an article today, too.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/state-wi...titutional

Also, FYI:

(*Snipped - More at link)

US Interior to Propose Rule for Dealing With a Native Hawaiian Government

The administrative procedure could lead to establishment of a formal relationship between the United States and an indigenous governing entity in the islands.

„¹ The U.S. Department of the Interior has taken a major step toward federal recognition of Native Hawaiians.

The agency has released the draft of a proposed rule regarding procedures to re-establish a government-to-government relationship with a native governing entity.

That entity is in the process of being formed through the Native Hawaiian Roll Commission, which late last month sent notices to qualified voters on how to participate in a constitutional convention for self-governance.

http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/08/us-inte...overnment/

Guess the DOI Meetings, and subsequent continued discussions have been somewhat fruitful. We shall see what comes of all this effort.

JMO.
Opihikao, thanks for the additional information. I was somewhat surprised to see that OHA got involved in the process for establishing a body to represent Hawaiians because of previous court rulings that, as a state agency, they could not operate race-based elections. But then again OHA/DHHL have not always learned from their past experience. From my non-lawyer, layman's point of view, that would seem to be the most viable technical point of the lawsuit to stop that process.

As someone who is sympathetic in general to this process, but skeptical of the motives of some participants, I think they should have funded the enrollment and elective process some other way. Maybe that princess lady could have contributed something more socially useful than bail money for some folks who seem clueless to me.
That is a big step with the Interior suggesting just recognizing each other, the federal government and indigenous Hawaiians, and starting a dialogue. The indigenous Hawaiians have to define who they are within their ohana and the Interior to consider them as a separate Polynesian people. There is no way to go back before pre-contact times or even the most recent monarchy times. The culture can be preserved, and restored to its fullness by becoming a nation. Rebuilding the heiaus and bringing back the kanaka religion would rebuild the Hawaiian spirit.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Chunkster, that is why this "process" is suspect (re: OHA involvement).

When CEO, Kamana'o Crabbe wrote to Kerry re: Status of the Hawaiian Nation/Kingdom, (no response to date, btw) and all hell broke loose in OHA, it was just the start of the controversy we're dealing with today. OHA needs to be disbanded/put in receivership, or whatever it's called (DHHL, too).

The millions OHA has spent on this "lame duck" of an effort to include "all Hawaiians" in this effort is ridiculous. Yet, with the likes of ex-Gov. Waihee at the helm of Kana'iolowalu, and the members of Na'i Aupuni, it remains "suspect", at best.

Who the hell has the nerve to say, "If you don't sign on to the roll call list, you and your children, and your grandchildren, and all your issues will NEVER be counted as 'Hawaiian'....". Kana'iolowalu did exactly that. Seriously. Too much political BS, that's why this is a "tall order" by design, perhaps.

Still got one foot in each "world", and yet hope for better days for my mo'opuna and their issues. Meaning, we ALL work hard, provide for our families, and set aside our differences towards a common goal. Peaceful exsistence would be a good start.

Pahoated is right. This is a big step for the USA to move forward with "a plan". Bet there are some that wish Clinton never, ever, ever signed that apology. Just saying.

Please pardon my verve, but this is important to our people (all of us), in order to move on. Over 100 years this has been an argument, and it needs to be resolved, one way or another.

In the Kingdom days, there was Ali'i (Royalty) and slaves. No middle class. Thus, some of us don't want to be "waited on", nor do we want to "wait on" anyone else (except Kupuna). Papa taught us we all put our pants on the same way.

OK, now I'm pau. Have a good evening. Gonna make a peanut butter, banana sandwich for dinner (with butter on the soft white bread), while Elvis plays in the background. [Big Grin]

"Blue Hawai'i"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyIJ2vMIuDg

Indeed.

JMOO. (Just my old opinion...lol)

ETA: Elvis 1960-something (Swoon, hand over my right brow. I'm old, not dead [Big Grin])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTZ9kkhOYN4

Elvis LOVED Hawai'i, and made many contributions. Can't wait for the Coco Palms to be reopened on Kaua'i. (Sorry, SO O/T)

Thanks as always, Opihikao, for your point of view. I understand a lot more now than I did five minutes ago. If I were Hawaiian, I would run as fast and far away as I could from any national entity dominated by OHA/DHHL. Why start your renewal with a failed institution embedded in it?
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

Thanks as always, Opihikao, for your point of view. I understand a lot more now than I did five minutes ago. If I were Hawaiian, I would run as fast and far away as I could from any national entity dominated by OHA/DHHL. Why start your renewal with a failed institution embedded in it?

Amen, Chunkster. Amen. Both entities are a complete farce.

This current movement/revolution/protest is a resurgence of the continued "fight for what is right". The definition depends on the eye of the beholder. Our lands have been taxed; no pun intended.

Much like other protests, including Kaho'olawe, Pohakuloa, Haleakala, Hilo Airport, and all the other "injustices" that are perceived (some very real), the argument remains basically the same. However, this time, the numbers are greater than ever before in my lifetime, and my Mother's!

To say no one cared to "fight" earlier, au contraire. On each and every issue, Hawaiians have stood firm, yet, feel unheard. Now, the rising of the masses, presenting a firm stance with the world watching, could provide progress. For some of us, it's now or never.

The difference today, is a better understanding of current laws, international, federal, state and county. "Kapu Aloha" is apparently the "buzz word" for Hawaiians to "ho'omanauanui", kill them with kindness, and fight with your brain, not your fists.

In the end, which I hope we can all enjoy (if not, our keiki and mo'opuna), will be the elusive common ground, peaceful resolution.

Hawai'i Aloha. Aloha Aina. Mahalo ke Akua, e na Aumakua, e na Kupuna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_17vGYa81s

Mahalo, Chunkster, for your kind discussion, and honest, straight forward opinion. Always a pleasure. Rest well.

JMO.
The lead editorial in today's Honolulu Star-Advertiser has some interesting points in reference to the lawsuit against the Hawaiian nation building referendum moving forward. What they found potentially fatal is the fact that the signature gathering process largely required that Hawaiians agree to “affirm the unrelinquished sovereignty of the Native Hawaiian people and my intent to participate in the process of self-governance.” According to the lawsuit and the editorial, Hawaiians who are happy with the status quo are effectively excluded. And yes, such people exist in numbers significant enough to gain standing in the suit. In my purely anecdotal world, I actually know some myself who told me, "We are Hawaiian-Americans, are happy to be Americans, and don't want that to change." I think these people are may be a minority of Hawaiians, but excluding them from the process rings hollow when coming from people who support the protesters, saying that "they have not been heard."

Here is a link, but be warned, this is paid content only:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/editorials...=322134532
Chunkster quoted article: "required that Hawaiians agree to 'affirm the unrelinquished sovereignty of the Native Hawaiian people and my intent to participate in the process of self-governance.' ”

Do I understand this correctly? Not only are only asking a certain race (Hawaiians..is there a criteria?) but only the ones that already agree with how they want the "vote" to turn out?!?

Democracy in action, I guess. Sad

Cheers,
Kirt
Chunkster, it is a hot mess. Still. This whole damn thing is suspect, as usual. Both sides have some valid concerns, however, the process was flawed from the start.

Guess it comes down to the "lesser of two evils". [V]

JMO.