Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
changing the vehicle safety check program
"Yes there are scams for every event in life, but for every person taking the shortcuts there is someone actually fixing their cracked manifold or whathaveyou which does improve air quality"

Most people (myself included) kept the changes the Emission Physician made to our vehicles, and got less MPG and rough running as a result. Bureaucracy: 1, Environment: 0. Most people aren't actually cheaters in the sense that they are trying to use big illegal tires 364 days out of the year. Most people just simply can't afford "permanent" fixes. Duct tape doesn't look "cool" on a vehicle, but some shops won't pass your car with any exposed rust.
The photo requirement (the rear of the vehicle) appears to be for the highway cams--all can be tracked, live and in B/W probably, except for the ones without a current safety check sticker. Oh well.

If the safety checks actually kept junkers off the road it might be valid. Seems there are the same number of unsafe/illegal vehicles on the road regardless. And a safe car doesn't prevent many of the crashes at the Malama intersection, which seem to be very much on the uptick. Should be interesting, if not "where's that sharp knife" depressing, when construction begins, and ends, on the roundabout bottleneck...

Not to hijack the thread. Every two years would be fine and likely wouldn't make any practical difference to safety--but more convenient, yes. Where do I sign the petition? Wink

Cheers,
Kirt

typo
I don't take this as good news as I spent a considerable amount of time last year just trying to work within the hazy boundaries of the system. I though I finally had it down. We got all out of whack between the inspection and the registration. Never going to do that again.
Income tax credit for people living in private subdivisions based on their distance to a public maintained road to offset fuel tax.

Mileage deducation pays better.
I've tried to understand the mileage deduction but I'm not a numbers guy. Can you explain how it works?
The changes to the safety check sucks, but one or two places will arrange a safety check while you have your car in for scheduled maintenance. Worth checking out. Orchid Isle does it and maybe others do as well. Just arrange things so your regular service coincides with the safety check deadline. (*)

(*) Not aimed at people who don't want to do this.

We have no issues with this new safety inspection system.
Make the appointment,take our vehicle in ,get passed,get new sticker and on our way for 12 months.
Every 2 years would be splendid but the state would loose to much taxation from it's minions .
Just like any other place,be it the dentist,Eye Dr or GP.Make an appointment,show up on time,and leave when appointment is done.

Mrs.Mimosa
The inspection program is a total ripoff and a waste of time!

It is impossible for and inspection station to check all of the things required by law and do it for the fee they are required to charge.

When your inspection is finished all you can be sure of is that you don't have any outer body rust thru,your lights work,you don't have a broken windshield and your tires look good.

Minor things like the brakes being worn out or a ball joint that is shot will not be checked usually.

There are 17 states that have inspections so 33 don't, I wonder how they survive ?