Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
09-06-15 Hilo Kamehameha statue spear theft
I must be getting old. $7000.00 to re-attach the top of the spear? And that's with donated labor?
It would be nice that instead of getting a "slap on the wrist" he do community service at the going rate ( minimum wage) until the amount is fulfilled, and County pungling up the funds they saved, but I think I am dreaming here.

Community begins with Aloha
I must be getting old. $7000.00 to re-attach the top of the spear?

Kamehameha probably united the islands for less than $7000.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

I must be getting old. $7000.00 to re-attach the top of the spear? And that's with donated labor?

quote:
That expense would cover repairing the top segment of the statue’s spear, or ‘ihe, that was removed, re-installing it to the rest of the structure, and repairing other damage.

In addition to the removal of the nearly 6-foot spear segment, Yamada said the statue’s chest also was damaged.

“Whoever went up there with the ladder or chain or something hit the chest and scraped off some of the gold,” he said.

The approximately 50-pound spear segment, which detectives found in brush in the park Tuesday, was reported missing Sunday. It is valued at $10,000.

I think it's more then just attaching the spearhead.

Gold is valued at ~1100 an ounce at the moment.

If we wanna go cheap, i will donate a couple cans of yellow spray paint and do the job for free.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

I must be getting old. $7000.00 to re-attach the top of the spear?

Kamehameha probably united the islands for less than $7000.

They don't make 'em like they used to!