Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vog
bumping this because I hear the vog is bad as can be in Hilo right now (I am on the west side and wondering whether I could breathe if I went home)

how goes it?

Kathy, It was clearer today than yesterday(could see a hazy mountain, to the top today, from the bay, yesterday could barely see Imoloa from the mall). Was still hazey.

I have never seen vog as bad as this in Hilo and Paradise Park yesterday the 1st of Dec.. Do not know what it is like in Hilo today, the 2nd, but the plume seemed to be over Puna at least part of today. I went into Hilo on the 1st and could not see the ocean from Kea‘au across the fields, could not see the mountains and could not see what should have been the blue, cloudless sky. The island was enveloped in a white cloud of vog way out into the sea. We had the air conditioning on in the truck. I hate air con but it seems to filter out the vog somewhat. When I got out to run to the store trying not to breathe my mouth became immediately coated with a metalic substance and I could not smell a thing. I cooked dinner later and figured I could have saved time and money by just serving cardboard.

As we came back to the east side from Kona yesterday afternoon, the vog was at first a layer sitting out over the ocean as we came around Lapoehoehoe point, it got worse and worse as we got closer to Hilo. As we came down the hill to Kapoho, it cleared about 50% maybe.

We were at Hapuna yesterday though, and it was blowing so hard from the west that we were gettign sandblasted.
Vog in Puna is Pele's way of sayin "time to visit de udda side".

Kona needs a storm now and then to wash the dust off the asphalt. I do love to dive there though.

Dan

We live right on the water in Keaukaha and the VOG has been so bad we can't see the horizon in any direction. No visible mountains, no ocean view, just VOGGY haze. If you want to keep track of which way the VOG is blowing go to this NPS site which updates every 15 minutes. http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/p...oalert.cfm

carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
little better today but still here and as i saw on TV this Am... humidity at 94%

Also hilo was 5" UNDER average for rainfall in Nov.
When is that dern Harry Kim gonna do something about the VOG problem??