Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bishop Museum selling Waipio Valley
Curious, does the shed have a permit or how did they know about it?

It came with the property, and it was there longer than the previous owner, though I know it was built without a permit back in the '70s. How it got on the record I haven't the foggiest. The property is on the Kohala side of the valley i.e. not easily accessible by the County just out driving around. Though anyone hiking up the King's Trail on the far side of the valley goes right by it.
I wonder what the property is valued at for tax purposes.

Here's another interesting property, up for county tax auction today:

Mauna Ziona Church, established by the early missionaries who came to Hawaii more than a century before statehood, is scheduled for tax sale Tuesday in Hilo.

Taxes haven’t been paid on the iconic green wooden church with the red tin roof since it was released by a church conference in 2009, and ownership is now claimed by two different families, neither of which has paid taxes on it.

The church owes a total of $167,562 on two adjacent properties totaling 70 acres. The 10-acre parcel that includes the church building on the mauka side of Mamalahoa Highway accounts for $46,641 of that, with the remainder attributed to the 60-acre parcel.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...ax-auction

It's a long and convoluted story. The pastor of the church sued the church conference, claiming he owned the property. The church conference gave the property to him to settle the suit, however, ownership reverted to persons in the title search who have not paid taxes since. The pastor plans to sue the state. Are these legitimate claims of a tax exemption for a valuable piece of Big Island property?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves