Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amazon minimum up
Amazon has applied for a patent which allows the use of a selfie for purchases instead of a password. Let's hope the recognition software also detects in our facial expression when we need stuff shipped tomorrow. 2 or 3 days tops. Seriously.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/dt-daily/am...-a-selfie/

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
a patent which allows the use of a selfie for purchases

This is what passes for "innovation"?

Amazon should buy Sports Authority and turn the locations into nearline warehouses. One reason they don't is that this creates a "nexus" so they would have to charge tax, but that would be a small price to pay for real next-day delivery (or same-day pickup).
quote:
Originally posted by Lee M-S

I guess they won't be fulfilling orders as quickly as they used to, either.
I ordered my $49+ worth of merchandise Feb 29; they've never given me a ship date--16 days and it's still waiting to be processed.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>

They don't provide ship dates to Hawaii or Alaska, only delivery dates. If they have missed the delivery date, use the online chat feature to complain. I'm not sure what they will offer as a "customer service gesture" (csg) to non-prime members but its worth a shot. The normal CSG for prime members is a free month of prime added each time you complain.

I shop amazon only when its cheaper to do so. If I need something quickly and price is at least comparable, I'll order it from eBay.
For 16 days, the order has said they can't give me a delivery date or any info at all. Their shipping pages say 5-7 days Standard (free) shipping to Hawaii.

I emailed them and got a response today; the holdup is that 2 items are out of stock. They're shipping the other 10 items with 1-day shipping (they'll arrive in 2 days, of course), and the others when available, which appears to be the very next day.

Every Time I have called... to ask about the hold up, they are very polite and up to 2 day shipping. So, it's worth it to call them. I don't know, but it seems like they are having order fill from warehouse issues. I ordered two tablets and sat in the queue till I called. Then one tablet showed up fed ex and the other UPS in different boxes. Dunno, maybe too many people are ordering from amazon and they are having trouble keeping up with demand?

Customer service and prices are way better at ebay. Thurs or Friday I couldn't find any decent Italian coffee on ebay, googled and found a distributor who offers free shipping on orders over $49. Shipped and arrived super quick 2nd day UPS. Wholelattelove.com, try the Lavazza Bar brand and you won't go back. $50 bought us a wholelatte primo coffee.
I always have a cart going on amazon. When I reach the min. to ship for free, I put in the order. It rarely all comes in one box, but yeah, they sit on it longer than they used to. One thing out of stock can delay the whole order (even if it says it's in stock).

There are many many items I can't get locally that I get on amazon - art supplies, for instance. I recently got a dress form for $99 that is $269 over at Discount Fabrics. I'd love to buy locally, but there's no decision when the difference is that big.

btw, shipping for books-only order still has $35 min. for free shipping, sted of the $49 for orders w/anything other than books or anything in add'n to books.
I have a theory that if there's stuff in your cart, they'll delay your current order to see if they can combine it with your next order. Just based on experience, no actual facts involved.

Hmmm. Good theory. I do use my cart to save stuff I'm thinking about. That way, when I'm under minimum free ship amt, I can find something to add.
Elsewhere I've read that if you are eventually considering purchasing something from amazon it is suggested that you add it to either your cart (even if you delete it) or add it to your wishlist. When amazon's algorithms see a lot of such activity it tells their sales people it is an item people are considering and amazon may use their purchasing power to get the item cheaper so customers will convert from shoppers to buyers.

Amazon has had some problems with order fulfillment speed to Alaska and Hawaii but at the same time they are often the only merchant who is crazy enough to even consider shipping things like 50# bags of livestock feed, mattresses, tires, and other items here for FREE. Hence, I give them some slack.

They never charge your credit card until the item(s) actually ship. Ultimately, they want you to pay as QUICKLY as possible and the sooner they ship, the sooner they get paid. It seems ridiculous to me when they take 10 days before finally shipping out something like a smoke detector yet they will ship out two huge solar panels within 9 hours... but remember Amazon is actually a family of companies with an additional tens of thousands (millions?) of independent merchants operating under their seamless web site and customer support portals.