Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened to Mauna Kea State Recreation Area
I went to the Mauna Kea state recreation area, it was closed, windows taken out. The cabins also had windows removed. Anyone know what happened???
The County took it over and they are remodeling it.What they have done so far , looks great .
Wecelli
And when was the last time you pulled in ?
Did you notice anything else?
Landscaping....paving....painting....functioning restrooms(clean)....rubbish cans you could use....and, uh, a rather large playground for children that looked pretty new......

Or did you just notice that the cabins were being rebuilt, and if you did you might have remembered the last time anyone could use one in good condition (I think the 80's)

Another example of how a motivated and effective elected official can make a difference. Add it to all the other parks, the new roads, and hopefully in the near future Banyan Drive.
It's been looking a lot nicer. We usually stop there on the way back from Kona for a short rest break.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by HiloPuna

Wecelli
And when was the last time you pulled in ?
Did you notice anything else?
Landscaping....paving....painting....functioning restrooms(clean)....rubbish cans you could use....and, uh, a rather large playground for children that looked pretty new......

Or did you just notice that the cabins were being rebuilt, and if you did you might have remembered the last time anyone could use one in good condition (I think the 80's)

Another example of how a motivated and effective elected official can make a difference. Add it to all the other parks, the new roads, and hopefully in the near future Banyan Drive.

These are reviews from people that have actually stopped there recently.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevie...ml#REVIEWS

quote:
“Rest Stop at a Beautiful Park”

Best Idea from the County in over 25 years, thank you Mayor Billy Kenoi and staff. Cool and awesome idea. Good Job, high five and knock bump.
Visited February 2016

“A good stopping place for lunch, restrooms”

Nice, clean park for families to stop along the way. Great play area for children and nice restrooms!

Visited January 2016

I notice on PW that some people that are fixated on the cry train describe places the way they were years ago, not recently. I can't figure it out if these people are the ones on PW that don't live here, or were here years ago, or never get out of some vine treehouse on the Red Road.

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...ation-area
$10.5M renovation coming to Mauna Kea Recreation Area

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
people that are fixated on the cry train

This thread started with a question as I read it, not a complaint:

Comment #1 - The cabins also had windows removed. Anyone know what happened???
Comment #2 - they are remodeling it... looks great .
Comment #3 - Landscaping....paving....painting....functioning restrooms(clean)....rubbish cans you could use....and, uh, a rather large playground for children that looked pretty new......
Comment #4 - It's been looking a lot nicer.
Comment #5 - (copy)
Comment #6 - I notice on PW that some people that are fixated on the cry train describe places the way they were years ago, not recently.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This thread started with a question as I read it

So now you're complaining about the direction this thread has taken?

(JOKING -- HAHA!)
I had never gone into the main cabin until the cinder block bathrooms were closed for remodeling. Had I known they had drink and snack vending machines in there I might have gone more often for those times I forgot to pack a drink or snack.
"What happened to Mauna Kea State Recreation Area?"
I really don't care who or why, BUT the results are FANTASTIC! Remodeled older bathrooms and built NEW bathrooms! Built a REAL playground, one that CHALLENGES the keiki, not some ULTRASAFE waste of money. The playground has SOFT high quality artificial turf that just begs to be rolled on. Just took a bunch of 8th graders from Ohau up there for lunch, they were ECSTATIC! Nothing torn apart, no graffiti, NO RIFF RAFF - SAFE! Yes, it looks like they are remodeling the "cabin like" buildings, if they follow the same "mentality" as the rest - WOW!