Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawn weed killer
I am looking for some thoughts on lawn weed killer.
I have got these patches of weeds in the lawn that look like clover.
Spreading like crazy.
Would like to kill them without polluting the whole neighborhood.
Ideas, thoughts?
Try Weed-B-Gone. It works but you really have to spray the patches.
Before using toxins on what you may think is a weed,take a sample plant to Department of Ag and have them ID the plant . It may be an endemic ground cover with medicinal properties .

Mrs . Mimosa
I ended up hand-pulling all those weeds. Nothing else got rid of both the root and the seeds. It was a lot of work, but now I just have to pull the occasional weed.
I was given this by our yard guy:

Mix apple cider vinegar, epsom salts, and a bit of Dawn dish liquid. Experiment with the ratios. The vinegar takes it into the plant system, the salt kills, the dish soap keeps the stuff on the plant. He insists on it being ACV and Dawn.

Also just received this recipe from a friend which we haven't tried yet but supposedly works great. It's similar to the first one:

-1 gal white vinegar
-1 cup fine-ground salt (cheapest)
-2 Tbl dishwashing liquid
- can substitute 4Tbl Simple green
Procedure: Pour vinegar into bucket. Add salt, stir well. Wait 1/2 hour or so. Stir some more, make sure salt is dissolved. Pour into sprayer. Add your chosen dispersant. Give plants a good dosing, don’t stint your supply.
Unlike Roundup, Weed-B-Gon only kills the weeds and not the grass. You have to get the right kind for the grass you have though. I've used the product below with success. It didn't kill the centipede grass.

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-we...ADA6677BBD
Weed-B-Gon lists 2,4-D as its active ingredient; Roundup is probably less toxic...

When shopping for herbicide: smaller "retail" packaging is the most expensive way to go, bulk containers are a much better deal, just be sure to adjust your mix to account for the higher concentrations of active ingredient -- retail packaging is watered down compared to the "professional" version.
Along these same lines I have a small lawn that is very close to my catchment tank, which is concrete and below the grade of the lawn. I don't want anything to leach into the tank. I have been looking for something that will kill the clover and weeds but not kill the grass.

On the front lawn I used Scott's weed and feed, but only on a completely windless day.
Look at the label for active ingredients, poison prevention, etc. before using any "over the counter" type insecticides, herbicides, etc.. In hazardous materials response, the more hazardous, the smaller the container. That is why you see compressed gas trucks with multiple cells to make a tank, like stacked pipe.
If my bonehead chemistry is right, "Roundup" is a chemically derived salt from phosphoric acid, with a glycol (think antifreeze) carrier/ tackifier. The "organic" recipe by Kiana sounds much more neutral in hazards. Someone please correct, if wrong.

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by bystander

Unlike Roundup, Weed-B-Gon only kills the weeds and not the grass. You have to get the right kind for the grass you have though. I've used the product below with success. It didn't kill the centipede grass.

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-we...ADA6677BBD

One has to be careful with Lawn Weed killer. Its true that it kills everything except the grass. Included in this "everything" is your Hibiscus plant, the little Mango and Avocado trees you just bought, the Tomato plants, etc. Be very careful with this stuff and watch the over-spray!

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".