Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSTCO in Hilo
@ Dan D: The next time you are in CostULess, notice how many Kirkland (CostCo house brand) products have been purchased and marked up for resale. It's quite a lot. Now having said that, I fully agree with you that the membership fee for CostCo and the gas money to get there may not be worth it for all consumers. Also, not everything at CostCo is a good deal. Many items actually cost more there than at some other places. My family finds it worthwhile to be members, but we are careful about what we buy and don't go running over there every week. YMMV
Costco has better quality than Safeway... I know that potatoes, cheese, last longer ..and their ribeye steaks make Safeways taste like dogfood.

..What would King Kamehameha do..
quote:
Originally posted by dan d

cost u less is just as good
u wont see me pay $50 for a stupid card

Dan D
HPP

When you can buy 5 dozen eggs for 5 bucks at cost-u-less let me know how stupid it is again.

Big Grin

let me know how stupid it is again

If that $1/dozen eggs requires 3-4 hours drive and $30-40 gas money... is it really a bargain?

"Obviously" nobody will drive to Costco just for 5-dozen eggs -- equally obviously, not everybody can eat all 5-dozen before they go bad -- but it's disingenuous to merely compare "price" when there are many variables involved in the overall "cost".
Yep, my car, gets 45 miles per gallon... so it helps.. About 10 bucks in gas. I don't just run over and get eggs, but when I do, I get 3 boxes, so that's a savings of around 10 bucks per 5 dozen, plus if you get TP Rolls, Trash Bags... Etc...etc... Usually that's 20-30% off buying in bulk. Last time I was there I got the 3lbs bag walnuts for 10 bucks.... 10 bucks a lbs at target/walmart and that's if you can find it. As you can see it adds up in hurry. I get my money back from my gas... and card expenses, as I go to kona and snorkel and enjoy the sandy beaches. No big deal for me. I love my toyota echo... Smile

Kona is a nice place to visit for a couple hours.. just for a change . Costco... Beach time.. we usually get a Costco pizza to eat on the way home.

..What would King Kamehameha do..
I went to Cost-U-Less to grab two of the stainless steel looking racks they sell at Costco. They were $80 ($160 total) more expensive at cost-u-less. Worth the membership charge, gas, and then some... I drove to Kona.
Funny how "keepin' it local" with that "country lifestyle" means you gotta drive to Kona because it keeps all that "big-box strip-mall" at a safe distance.

Remember, your time is free.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Funny how "keepin' it local" with that "country lifestyle" means you gotta drive to Kona because it keeps all that "big-box strip-mall" at a safe distance.

Remember, your time is free.

I wonder what percentage of the Hilo side CostCo card holders are retired? My guess is well over half, because people who are working 5 or 6 days a week don't have the free time to spend half their weekend driving to Kona to shop. When I drove to Hilo to work everyday my weekend was spent doing laundry, paying bills, mowing my yard, tackling the "honey do" list, and if I was very lucky, sleeping in an extra hour on Sunday and having breakfast in bed with my partner. The last thing I had/have time for was a 2 hour each way drive to go shopping.