Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain Gauges
I have owned several electronic rain gauges through the years, both wired and wireless. None of them worked for a full year. It almost seems that they aren’t built for outdoor use! When I go to weather underground and look at local weather stations it seems that very few of them record rainfall. They may all show 99% humidity but zero rainfall. Are all of those rain gauges broken too? Is there a good rain gauge out there that can handle Puna? We can put a man on the moon, can’t we make a reliable rain gauge?
Yes, I realize that I can put a jar out in the yard and measure what falls in.
rainwise makes good products.
I had a wireless Rainwise gauge. It broke. Called the company and they sent me replacement parts. Fixed it. Broke again after two months. Bought a wired Rainwise gauge. It broke in 6 months.
well, YOU may believe we put a man on the moon...

hey, it's Punaweb, somebody had to say it.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Never needed rain gauges on the moon... [Wink]
I bought one from home depot. It wasn't expensive and has already been around longer than a year. It's thick plastic, has a spike on the bottom to hold into the earth, has large lettering and has easy-to-read markings.
Of course I too know a jar can just be measured but this is more convenient and I've had no complaints. I take that back- I had a complaint last week when I had to dump the water out of the gauge when it rained more than 5 inches in two days but the complaint was directed at mother nature and the cosmos.
I have an electronic rain gauge from Oregon Scientific that I have been using since late October. It empties itself. So far, no problems. About $40.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Thanks Radiopeg. I had two Oregon Scientific rain gauges that didn't last for a year. Maybe they can't handle Puna rain. They probably work great in Arizona.
We use a 5 gallon plastic bucket and a plastic ruler .
Close enough to the tenth of an inch.
Straight sides to the bottom of the plastic bucket .
We have 3 of them in different areas of garden and around the house.

No need fancy and lasts for years.

Mrs.Mimosa