Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something new going in Hilo?
can't really build anything there since it's in the tsunami inundation zone

But the new building code requires a tsunami "safe room", isn't that enough?
Never heard of a tsunami safe room. Cites?
UKIRT is a tsunami safe room.
quote:
Originally posted by bystander

More sports fields? There's already several baseball diamonds and football fields right across the street. I suppose that can't really build anything there since it's in the tsunami inundation zone.

'Parks' and 'sports fields' are the County code word for 'grass' - its about all they are capable of, making open grass fields with a few very basic fences and seats...

The repaving, sidewalks and lighting of Kamehameha avenue has made Hilo bayfront a lot busier, too busy. It looks like several schools are using those fields, mostly soccer. At night, they clear out so it looks like a lot of empty space but they are busy during the day. Maybe somebody thinks there is money in a commercial sports field.

Spend a few minutes on bayfront beach, look outwards, then around the shore, the place is a tsunami magnet. Everybody that survived the last tsunami climbed a tree. A tsunami "cabinet" down there would have to be on top of a 50 foot pole.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
County code word for 'grass'... open grass fields with a few very basic fences

Basic fences bid out at hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Grass that requires a weekly (additional?) maintenance crew.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If you saw the Hawaii county presentation on the plans for revitalizing Banyan Drive, it includes quite a lot of investment in structures that will house commercial ventures, as well as a convention center, where the golf course is now. Clearly the fact that the area is a tsunami magnet is not an issue any more.

I wonder if they will leave the stopped clock that serves as a reminder of the thriving community that existed there until a tsunami wiped it out?