Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawn Mower repair?
Anyone have any suggestions for a good Lawn Mower repair guy. Somthing's wring with our Husqvarna, something electrical.

Fire away with recommendations, we live in Hamakua.

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
Garden exchange in hilo has always been my goto..

...And the people bowed and prayed... to the neon God they made.
Try Google your model mower and the symptoms if you want to try diy, might even get a yootoob tutorialSmile

pm me if you have questions, maybe I can help if you can turn a wrench.

Puna small engine repair on the main drag of Pahoa across from the transfer station road. Great service, very reasonable $$.
depending on how old it is, what is the condition of the deck (how rusty is it)? How are the wheels? My mower runs like a champ, but I'm afraid the deck is going to wear out before the engine does. Point is, might be worth it to chuck it and spend 250 on a sears generic...New one...but if engine runs good, maybe can get 20-30 bucks for it? Dunno what a good running mower engine will bring?

Tip #1, always use ethanol fuel in small engines. If you are just using regular gas, can almost guarantee the carb probably needs to be cleaned out.

Easy to do, swap out spark plug and air filter.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlpTip #1, always use ethanol fuel in small engines.

I think it is advisable to avoid ethanol blends with lawn equipment:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/.../index.htm
sorry, meant to say non ethanol. Oh well... Smile
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

Tip #1, always use ethanol fuel in small engines. If you are just using regular gas, can almost guarantee the carb probably needs to be cleaned out.

Easy to do, swap out spark plug and air filter.

You meant non ethanol of course Eric, yet, I dose mine with a easy to use and cheap at wally's; Chemtool B-13 $3 bucks. on occasion.

been using 1 can of it for 2-1/2 years so, that's cheap. And to add how nice this stuff is. 1st off, I've been repairing my own mower engines since a kid in the 60's. yet, I have a spare push mower I let set for more than 6 months as I use my lawn tractor. But that dang push mower up and decided not to start 5 years ago. Because I really don't need it, I didn't bother much about that but, each year I'll pull it out and tinker around with it. check and double check every thing except pulling the carburetor because there's tiny little holes which were likely to be clogged due to ethanol and I'd need to give it an acid bath to clean if so. . However it had not clogged in the first 4 years I used it too. And the other most common reason of no start or poor performance, the aluminum chuck key was good to. Most don't know or realize that they have an aluminum chuck key and when you hit rocks of whatever that makes your engine stall it gets bent and that throws your timing off. the 1st year it wouldn't start, that key was bent. Not bent much but I tackled it first, with new key. Anyways I'll pull and pull that danged thing until I couldn't think straight, stubborn that eventually it would suck some gas and blow the clog out, year after year pull until I'd near pass out, but never did start the stupid thing.

Also stubborn that most easy to use formulas were mostly gimmicks. But, spring 2014, for 3 bucks, I said; 'what the heck $3 was cheaper than all the energy I'd wasted year after year'.

I put a few table spoons in the tank, pushed the Primer bulb to soak the carb, waited about 15 minutes, and Son of a gun? It started on the very first pull!!