Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why some Kanaka Maoli Oppose Federal Recognition
So is the DNA to prove Kanaka going through or wot?
A missed opportunity.
Hawaii seems to specialize in those.... wonder how many more we can afford.

Over the last 8 years, with a sympathetic President in the White House, Native Hawaiian groups exerted a majority of their time, effort, and outreach with supporters on anti-TMT objectives. A decidedly smaller amount of energy went into other causes which could have at least started a path to sovereignty or some form of self government, and possibly the restructuring of OHA & DHHL to create more responsive organizations for their needs.

Now, with a new administration about to oversee any change in the relationship between Native Hawaiians and national and state governments, additional actions will be under potentially less cooperative circumstances.

If that is the case, what will have been gained? Instead of moving off of a waiting list and onto a homestead, instead of renting when they could be owning, instead of a possible expansion of Kamehameha schools to educate their children, Native Hawaiians may have one less telescope on Mauna Kea.

I'm not Native Hawaiian, but getting nothing (no TMT) rather than something (homestead, educated children) seems like a feeble achievement for all of the struggle put forth from 2009-2017.

“There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in.” Leonard Cohen
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
On the other hand, a "Kingdom of Hawaii" suddenly doesn't sound so bad. Or maybe join up with the inevitable California-led "Pacific Coast Republic"?
HOTPE: I agree with your assessment of OHA, DHHL and the "protectors"
As for your sign off line, I'm sad- nothing new from Leonard. "Closing Time" I guess.[Sad]

Lodestone: Really likely. LOL[Wink]
quote:
Originally posted by Lodestone

On the other hand, a "Kingdom of Hawaii" suddenly doesn't sound so bad. Or maybe join up with the inevitable California-led "Pacific Coast Republic"?

For purely selfish reasons, I would recommend joining Canada!

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
California produces about 2/3 of the nations food. Becoming a "Pacific Coast Republic" would probably eliminate tariffs on stuff shipped back and forth, as it would be one "nation".

Community begins with Aloha
Mike, I'm all in.

I'm only half kidding about all this, actually. The Red State/Blue State divide has steadily been getting more hostile, Trump's election just showed us how bad it has gotten. No matter which side you take, I think we can all agree that the two sides no longer share common values, goals, culture, religion, or even what the notion of what being an American means. Congress can't pass legislation or perform basic functions because everything is so polarized. We're like a couple that fights constantly but stays together out of sheer force of habit. I can't help thinking that everyone would be happier if we just parted ways.

Apologies to Rob as I have drifted off into national politics. But, there is a big orange elephant in the room that is difficult to ignore. I was at Pahoa Auto Parts this afternoon, and upon finding out they didn't accept Discover cards, I offered "American currency". The Hawaiian dude behind the counter asked me, "is this even America anymore?"
I doubt Hawaii has the gumption to even consider it.

If the military strategists at Hickham, Schofield, etc read Punaweb, they know a phone call to General Lyman field is all that's needed, requesting a couple of Blackhawk helicopters stationed there take off, and fly a grid pattern over Puna subdivisions. That would distract us from the revolution we were planning and quell the initial sparks of an uprising, as we instead yell at the low flying choppers as long as they zip around overhead.

“There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in.” Leonard Cohen
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"I am grateful to be here in Hawaii (verses [sic] the insanity of the streets of America)[...]"

Last time I checked, Hawaii and its streets were part of America.