Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a little info about HPP
Adding to Carey's comment -- during a drought, you can always have water hauled in to fill the catchment. Your insurance IS rated however by your distance to the fire station/hydrant. Insurance brokers will verify with you that you are actually TWO MILES from the closest hydrant because they can't quite believe it.
Due to my profession I have people asking me questions about the fire situation all the time, so I went to the fire Dept. and asked the firemen what they reccommend. They said that they almost never use water from a catchment, and that most catchments are difficult for them to reach. They assured me that they have sufficient capacity available to them to extinguish a fire without useing a catchment and that when help is needed more engines will be called out.

Aloha,

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
is Paradise Dr. paved from beginning to end. Yes it is. Although from 19 to the ocean the pavement has alot of "dips"

Is it possible to ride a bicycle, or walk, without getting run over? Yes it's not only possible...people are walking and bicycling daily. I have never heard of a walker or bicyclist getting hit by a car in our subdivision.

Are there any solutions to the mail situation, such as a mail service store in Pahoa? Their is a mail service in Pahoa...and I believe that their are still some boxes left for rent in the Pahoa Post office. The mail boxes in the park have a long wait list (I've been here 3 years and I'm still waiting).

Is there any bus service in the park? Maybe a park and ride near by?
Bus service is currently only available on Highway 130. They are currently negotiating to get bus service into the park. HPPOA has also appropriated money to build to 2 bus shelters.... one on Paradise and one on Kaloli

Is the crime any worst than any other area? The crime is no worse than any other area. My personal opinion is that crime in HPP has been reduced in many areas. It might have something to do with the neighborhood watch program.

Don`t care about the skeeters, we have them here too. Any yurts in HPP?

I guess Im out of touch with some of these terms.... What is a yurt? And what are skeeters?

Macuu222
Mosquitoes are refered to as skeeters here in our neck of the woods. And a yurt is a circular tent like structure used as a dwelling or whatever else a creative person might think of. Pacific or Colorado Yurts, on- line, has many fine pictures of yurts and there many applications.
Thank all of you for the info. about HPP. It`s a lot like where we live now, except the weather average is about 25 degrees warmer than here.
Little Bill
Mosquitoes are not a problem where I live, but I live almost by the ocean where it's dryer and has a lot less trees. I'd imagine up more towards the highway would have a little more mosquitoes since it's more wet and there's more vegetation, but it's not a really big issue.
Before I bought my land in Eden Roc (that's in Mountain View, much cheaper, and much cooler at a higher elevation), I spent a month at a VRBO ("Vacation Rental By Owner" or www.vrbo.com ) in HPP near the ocean. I had previously scoped out HPP and thought I would like living there, but the summer I spent a month there, I found it was too hot for my tastes. And that's about the time that lots started getting very expensive (comparatively) in HPP. My point is that it really does help if you can spend a little time in a neighborhood, not just drive around it, and renting a VRBO is probably a smart and not-that-expensive way to see if you like it. That being said, as someone else noted, HPP is HUGE and varies alot from street to street, just like a lot of other "developments." In addition, tho, you might want to appreciate the fact that HPP is in lava zone 3 (as is Eden Roc, and many other developments, but NOT Leilani Estates, which is lovely, but is in lava zone 1). So many variables, so many choices!!! Aren't we all lucky to live Hawaii!?!

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.
quote:
Originally posted by KeikiDad

I live on 3rd. I bike w/ my toddler or push him in the jogging stroller every day. I don't worry about cars down in my area because traffic is lighter. However, we have had to change routes a few times to avoid being harrassed by loose dogs. We usually go down to beach road. The cinder roads are not a problem for our cars nor are they difficult to bike on. The only time I notice dust is when it hasn't rained in a while which is infrequently. However, it must still be floating around because my windows need washing a lot. I like the location of the park since I am relativley close to Pahoa, Kea'au and Hilo. One thing to consider is the availability of shade on any lot you choose since it seems to be a few degrees hotter here than in lower puna. My house gets hot in the summer but my son's school on 26th, which is very shady, is much cooler.

David

David,I'm curious in what part of 3rd Ave did you get harrassed by loose dogs? Was it between Kaloli & Paradise....but closer to the Paradise side?

Handle every situation like a dog,If you can't eat it or hump it,piss on it and walk away...
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!