Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I won the lottery!
Or so someon told me over the phone. They hung up when I laughed.
Don't fall for it.
Yep...what a joke! We had a woman from Jamaica call us at the crack of dawn a few years ago & tell us we had won publishers clearing house! Laughing was the right thing to do!
You guys get all the luck. I got a robo-call that the IRS needed to speak to me urgently and that I needed to call them immediately and give them lots of personal information.
I don't even read threads that say "I won the lottery!" because I know it can only be a scam.

Oops!
I had Pakistani woman call me and tell me my microsoft has been infected with viruses and I need to urgently give her my computer access code so they can "fix it and make the changes necessary"
I guess she didn't plan on me having an apple computer. I played along with it and gave her fake numbers and letters. Then I proceeded to flirt with her. She laughed a bit then hung up.
I get calls about how much money I can save on my electric bill.

They don't know I'm off-grid.

I get emails about how much I can save on heater repairs, too.
I have had calls stating a family member is in jail on the mainland, and must send bail via Western Union in two payments (they have a limit), as well as "delinquent Federal taxes due". The first one almost got me until the caller used "ghetto slang" by mistake in one sentence, to which I "called him out" on his scam, hung up, and turned his phone number in as he identified himself as an officer of the law.
Be careful!

Community begins with Aloha
I played along... Then I proceeded to flirt with her.

No!
Don't do that!
If you and too many other people respond that way, their telephone monitoring algorithm will pick up on it and report the information to management. They'll determine an American's desire (for desire) is greater than their fear of computer viruses, and they'll adjust their business model accordingly:

"Hello, Business Models "R" Us. How may we help you? Be sure to have your VISA or MasterCard ready, then press 1 to speak with our Blond representative... "

"Only fear real things, such as minds full of delusions." -Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I usually ask if they're religious and if they say yes then I tell them they're going straight to hell.
Not sure if it works but it sure makes my day.