Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
example of "land use fail"
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-neighbors

As it turns out, Big Island Dairy LLC doesn't own the land, they merely lease it from State, which means that County doesn't have any direct control of the issues affecting County residents.

Similar to the way that State controls Banyan Drive. Compare/contrast with Waikoloa, which is all privately owned, with no shortage of investment.

Shouldn't those of us who live here have a say in how the lands are managed here?
“The runoff that comes down from the dairy is disgusting,” said Charlene Nishida, who owns property in the area. “It’s brown, it’s mucky, it’s foamy, it smells. It’s not the normal water that you would see as run off from rain.”

It's too bad there's not a group already in existence on Hawaii Island who have stated one of their primary goals is to prevent waste from spilling on, and entering into the Mauna Kea watershed. If there was, they could initiate immediate action to prevent any further "brown, ... mucky... foamy..." desecration of the mountain.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I just have to say it: Where are the "Protectors" when you need them?
Where are the "Protectors"...?

Yes. Where have they gone?
They were recently in Hilo for five months and during that time repeatedly stressed their commitment to this exact situation... protecting and saving the Mauna Kea watershed.

They've already shown their willingness to ignore both state and county regulations in the past, which also seems to be the problem here. They've described at length the ways in which state and county laws and permit processes are flawed. Should the Protectors step in, there's no need for suffering residents to wait. After all, did ancient Hawaiians have or need dairy cows? Protectors have a strong historical precedent to stand on.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
they could initiate immediate action to prevent any further "brown, ... mucky... foamy..." desecration

Why should the Protectors get their hands dirty with real issues that affect people today? Future potential issues can be fought from a nice clean office or courtroom.

Meanwhile cesspools are banned.