Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petco/TJ Maxx Status
I made some inquires regarding the new TJ Maxx/Petco slated to open at Prince Kuhio Plaza. These stores were scheduled to open in October and November, but permitting (and construction) delays has pushed this back to early 2018.
permitting (and construction) delays has pushed this back to early 2018

I'm always amazed at "permitting delays", especially since these come from the same government that "doesn't have any money" -- you would think they could manage to fast-track some non-load-bearing work inside an existing permitted building with appropriate zoning.
The bureaucrats don't care because they don't have to. They work in a consequence free environment where it is virtually impossible to get fired.
From the lack of either staffing, knowledge, or both, the plans more than likely got sent to Honolulu for plan review and approval. Sometimes this can take months in itself because if there is a plan check comment, it is rejected and given back to the contractor in 90 days, problem remedied and re submitted until the next problem. No complete plan check to give back to the contractor to address and re submit a complete revision.
All part of the money game.

Community begins with Aloha
bureaucrats... work in a consequence free environment

Unlike TJ Maxx & Petco, both probably counting on a busy Chrismas season to balance the books throughout 2018. They can't just raise your property taxes 100% if they blunder yet another year's budget expenses.

Four people are in a room and seven leave. How many have to enter again before it's empty?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
counting on a busy Chrismas season to balance the books

Why bother when you can just raise prices on a captive audience?
Petco planned to open in Hilo around 2013 but the new-construction shopping center they were going into (near the airport) never happened because the anchor store (Lowes) pulled out.